maybe improvement for randomizer necessary (better seed?)

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
dschingis27

Re: maybe improvement for randomizer necessary (better seed?)

Post by dschingis27 »

@veggivet: What I don't really get is why do you keep playing here if you are convinced it is rigged? Backgammon seems to be the only game you play here but there are many and better Backgammon platforms out there. I am just curious.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

Please list those better sites. I promise, you won't have to open the door for me! I've been looking for a better place to play, and asking several players here that question, but not much in the way of good advice. Thanks in advance!
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

** is a free, but "professional" Backgammon site whose interface is much (!) better (e.g. moving checkers works with a single click,...) than that of BGA. You can play with the doubling cube there and at the end of each match you learn your XG-Performance-Rating.

For those that have not heard of XG (=Extreme Gammon): It is the best computer program for Backgammon at the moment, based on neural networks. It plays far better than every human in the world. Thus, it is the reference of "optimal play". An PR (Performance Rating) of 0.0 means that you always made the optimal move according to XG. So even if you lose a game/match (because of bad luck) you at least know that you have played well.

Professional players do not exclusively care about the outcome of the game (because luck can decide that to a good extent) but they rather try to outplay their opponent in XG rating. Thus, there are several serious tournaments where XG rating is equally important in advancing than the actual result.

If you play well on ** (i.e. have a low XG-rating) you will see that you will win your fair share. If you play suboptimal moves you get a high XG-rating as a feedback and know that it was not (only) the dice that made you loose that often.

**) I removed the name of the other backgammon site since I learned in another forum that it is not allowed to mention other playing sites.
Last edited by euklid314 on 20 July 2022, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

Awesome! Sounds like just the place I'm looking for! 👍👍
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

yeah but, do they have a forum where you can complain about the dice ??
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

No need to over there. What a difference! So nice to play a game with fair dice.
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

Fine that you enjoy it. Of course the dice rolls are exactly the same but if you feel differently that is ok and will help you to enjoy the game again. All the people that are unhappy about dices at ** (you have them there too, even with XG-rating) can change to BGA.

Return to “Backgammon”