Arena, victory but no points

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
HATFIELDER

Arena, victory but no points

Post by HATFIELDER »

Is the arena working okay? I've had two games now that I've won but got no arena points (currently platinum). The first time I put it down to my ELO being much greater than my opponent but the most recent time he had more than me (just) before my victory.
Meeplelowda

Re: Arena, victory but no points

Post by Meeplelowda »

HATFIELDER wrote: 18 July 2022, 18:41 Is the arena working okay? I've had two games now that I've won but got no arena points (currently platinum). The first time I put it down to my ELO being much greater than my opponent but the most recent time he had more than me (just) before my victory.
Arena points (lower than elite) aren't based on ELO. They are based on what arena level the opponent is relative to you. See here in "What are the rules of Arena Mode" from the FAQ:
When you win a game in Arena mode, you gain Arena points. You gain 3 Arena points when beating an opponent from the same league, 2 points when beating an opponent from league N-1, 1 point for beating an opponent from league N-2, and so on (and the same for higher leagues).
In your most recent "Martian Dice" game you were plat and your opponent was bronze. According to the formula, you can only score points for beating an opponent from league N-2 or higher. Bronze is N-3 relative to platinum, so you gain no points, even if your opponent has 700+ ELO in that game. Unfortunately, arena is working as designed.

Is it super-annoying? Yes, and it is a perennial complaint among arena players.
Jellby

Re: Arena, victory but no points

Post by Jellby »

You don't gain Arena points, but you still gain ELO.

Return to “Martian Dice”