Another Dumb Question

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
John Steidl

Another Dumb Question

Post by John Steidl »

How does combat work in the BGA implementation when you move ships onto another player's colony and he has no ships? It gave me a combat screen but I couldn't see what to do. (I don't think I've figured out normal combat correctly yet...) Finally, I was trying to click inside and outside the combat window to see what would happen, but must have clicked in the wrong place. The screen just disappeared. This actually happened twice, and both times my ships just sat in the hex with the enemy colonies without attacking them.

Has anyone done a youtube tutorial for the BGA implementation? I know the core game rules; just not smart enough to figure out how to make them work here, and I hate to constantly annoy folks with this kind of question.

Please don't take this the wrong way; it's awesome what you've done here. I just seem to be struggling to figure out the interface.

EDIT: Figured it out...sort of. A bunch of my ships all fired and missed, which was why it looked like they didn't attack. (Gotta learn to read that move panel.) But I'm still not sure what I did to tell it to execute the attack. :-)
Dennis W

Re: Another Dumb Question

Post by Dennis W »

Just like firing at a ship. Click your ship to fire then click the Planet/Colony within that Battle Board popup.

And feel free to ask away. I just found this game here and learned it here. So the UI I have a good handle on. Had the opposite prob last Saturday when I put it on the table w/my local group and painfully realized how much actual paperwork there is that we don't have to do here. Especially for new players and trying to teach. I would choose to play/teach here 100% of the time now. Even tho I dropped serious $ on the Base + all the expansion this Spring - I'd choose to leave them shrinked and play here with just the current ruleset for quite awhile prob.
John Steidl

Post by John Steidl »

Thanks! I thought I was doing that and I thought nothing was happening. Clearly not the case, so I will need to try again!
Dennis W

Post by Dennis W »

Should have mentioned - There are some tiny clues on the Battle Board itself to help once you know what to look for. Even if you miss and it looks like nothing happened, your (if a single) ship will grey out indicating it has taken it's shot. If it is in a stack of 2+ ships, there is an extra indicator on the ship counter showing X/Y which if I recall correctly is Ships Remaining to Shoot or Retreat / Total ships in stack. You can see it count down as you take your shots.

Return to “Space Empires: 4X”