Concede

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
taddeo33

Concede

Post by taddeo33 »

Hi
First of all, thanks for the great implementation of a wonderful game! You are doing an excellent job indeed!
I would ask a question anyway: in a 2-way game, why the Concede action is not given to a player until half past the second part of the second scenario. To better explaining: you are playing a scenario where you win after 4 flags; say that you lose the first match 4-0; in the revenge match, your opponent gets the first flag and so he has already won the scenario. Why you have to wait until half the scenario is played (so, I imagine, one player gets 2 flags) before you may concede the game (as you have already lost)? There is no reason to waste time playing that game if you prefer to quit. I don't think this unfair or unsportmanlike. Simply, there is no reason to play further (my opinion, of course)
Sorry if my english is not good enough
twenty9oh7

Re: Concede

Post by twenty9oh7 »

Understandable that this would be frustrating, but this isn't really something that can be changed by the developers for Memoir '44 as it is a function of the BGA site itself.

More information from a previous post in the forums regarding the concede action:

"Conceding is only for 2-player games that have progressed at least 50% of the game. The system treats it as if a full game was played (non-conceding player winning, conceding player losing; win/loss records being updated, ELO adjusted) and only requires the approval of the player conceding. The game ends immediately.

Collective abandoning can be done at any time, but requires all players with a positive clock to agree. If they all do, the system treats it as if the game never happened (no ELO adjustment, no change in games played, etc.). Until all players agree, though, the game is still active and players can still receive time out/abandon penalties. The option to propose an abandon is in the same menu as conceding."
Fuddly

Post by Fuddly »

Quote: "The system treats it as if a full game was played (non-conceding player winning, conceding player losing."

According to the Game stats, It reads; "Loser" - in Both players Column?
Last edited by Fuddly on 19 November 2022, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Fuddly wrote: 29 October 2022, 01:33 Quote: "The system treats it as if a full game was played (non-conceding player winning, conceding player losing."

According to the Game stats; It reads; "Loser" - in Both players Column?
Stats are only updated when a game is over in a "normal " manner. We can't run any code when someone is conceding so we cant update stats accordingly
Missandry

Post by Missandry »

I am not happy with this. I signed up for two games of Memoir 44 and after I won the first game, the opponent quit ('conceeded') the second game after the first dice roll. They could have won the second game, they could have won overall but they decided to leave because they were a bad sport. Why should this be allowed? I wanted to play both scenarios in full. I play both to the end even if I lose both. To allow this behaviour (quitting after losing the first game) is to condone childish behaviour and bad losers. I don't care about ELO. I want stats on the whole game and to play both sides (I don't even care about losing - some times it's just about how many medals you can get before you are beaten). I hate the conceed option on most games , and particularly with memoir44 I think it should be removed because it's not about simply winning or losing. People need to learn to lose well and respect their opponents and their right to a satisfying game.
diamant

Post by diamant »

Missandry wrote: 01 December 2022, 13:53I am not happy with this.
I completely agree.

Page 2 of the rules, I read:
“Designed to commemorate the efforts and sacrifices of the men & women of the Second World War, we trust it will provide you with a sense of history and the desire to learn more about that Greatest Generation of all.”

I therefore find it problematic to prevent players from playing in accordance with the designer’s objective, which is to simulate World War II battles.
Indeed, it seems obvious to me that if you interrupt a battle long before its conclusion, you are not simulating anything at all.
This is all the more problematic when the simulation on BGA must replace the Days of Wonder application which did not provide for the abandonment of a game by the will of a single player.

I think that the creator of a table for 2 players should be able to disable game abandonment, at least for all games whose victory is determined by a score.
In particular, because this option prevents scores from being taken into account to determine the ranking of players in a tournament.
Wiking44

Post by Wiking44 »

Missandry wrote: 01 December 2022, 13:53 I am not happy with this. I signed up for two games of Memoir 44 and after I won the first game, the opponent quit ('conceeded') the second game after the first dice roll. They could have won the second game, they could have won overall but they decided to leave because they were a bad sport. Why should this be allowed? I wanted to play both scenarios in full. I play both to the end even if I lose both. To allow this behaviour (quitting after losing the first game) is to condone childish behaviour and bad losers. I don't care about ELO. I want stats on the whole game and to play both sides (I don't even care about losing - some times it's just about how many medals you can get before you are beaten). I hate the conceed option on most games , and particularly with memoir44 I think it should be removed because it's not about simply winning or losing. People need to learn to lose well and respect their opponents and their right to a satisfying game.
You signed up knowing that the rules allow players to concede a game after 50% has been played
In the game of Chess, a concede is a normal part of the game so is Chess allowing childish behavior
It is good to have an out in case a player has some emergency pop up and I think of it this way the player is saying good job you beat me I concede
I know this is personal and it comes down to each players preference, but it is allowed by the rules of BGA so when you sign up to play a game you have to know that the rules say a player can conceded after 50% and not be the player that gets mad
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Missandry wrote: 01 December 2022, 13:53 I am not happy with this. I signed up for two games of Memoir 44 and after I won the first game, the opponent quit ('conceeded') the second game after the first dice roll. They could have won the second game, they could have won overall but they decided to leave because they were a bad sport.
So they specifically said in the chat "I am a bad sport" before conceding ? (Private) Red thumb that player to never play against him in the future then.

Return to “Memoir 44”