the problem of bang

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
siegfried_cf

the problem of bang

Post by siegfried_cf »

Hello and good day everyone.

Many will agree, that bang is a great game. There is a considerable portion of luck in card deals, but even more significant portion of skill and depth in how and when you play your hand.
That all holds true however, only if the goals of the players playing it, are aligned. Quite simply, if they all play to win.
I have sadly seen it time and time again, that many players, (too many in fact) approach this game as if it was a free-for-all. Vice shooting the sheriff, revealed outlaws shooting and/or killing other revealed outlaws (not just for 3 cards), Sheriff deliberately killing vice, the list goes on. I have seen it all.
Worth mentioning is also how 9/10 renegades think, that the way to victory is through pretending to be vice all game long, even though this "strategy" works only with a very incompetent Sheriff, and only by super unlikely chain of coincidences.
One message to that topic for all future renegades, this game was not designed for 5 players to be Sheriff+Vice+Renegade VS 2x outlaws. As you can see, 3 > 2(1), so that is not balanced. You are the balancing part. Your ideal situation is Sheriff, 1x outlaw and you- renegade, in the final. Everything else works very very very few times for it to be pursued. Countless of games have proved that.

These players effectively ruin the game experience and defend it by alleged freedom of actions. Well, if Bang wasn't a team game, that would all be just fine, but guess what!
Bang is a team game. I'll repeat that for clarity - It's a team game. Your freedom of actions must not be superior to the goal of the team you play for. Make no mistake, I don't mean outlaws must go all guns blazing at sheriff from round 1. You can execute your secret plan all you want, just don't objectively reduce your chances of winning by going after your own.

There are plenty of players, who enjoy the competitiveness this game has to offer. But more often than not, it is nullified by the incompetence of players, who came to play this game to waste time, to troll or to play casually, at best, not really caring much for the result of the game. Worst is, they even admit to that.

So what is the problem the title refers to?
There is no way, how a seasoned player can enjoy playing this game on this site. However I wish there was, there really isn't. Most of the time, it's just agony and hope, that perhaps next game will be, forget great, normal will do just as nicely.
voriki

Re: the problem of bang

Post by voriki »

siegfried_cf wrote: 14 April 2022, 21:53 revealed outlaws shooting and/or killing other revealed outlaws (not just for 3 cards)
This is the only thing that should be happening once in a while. If one Outlaw is tanding on his last legs, he might not mind being killed by a fellow outlaw, as it prevents the sheriff from getting the 3-card bonus, and there can be other various reasons such as Vulture Sam in your team.

All other things, mostly Sheriff and (known) Deputy targetting each other make no sense whatsoever.
Two-Sheds

Post by Two-Sheds »

Would it help to create tables that are restricted to more advanced players?
siegfried_cf

Post by siegfried_cf »

Two-Sheds wrote: 15 April 2022, 13:03 Would it help to create tables that are restricted to more advanced players?
and how do you achieve that "advanced" rank? I believe the Arena mode was created for this purpose and yet, anyone over rank 100 can enter and spoil games like they often do. What's worse, it often does not honour the "I don't want to play with this player again" setting, so you are left with sitting through games with sheriff shooting at everyone else except the players who had shot him, renegades eagerly supplementing vice, then dying in the final against strong sheriff, then complaining how tough it is to win as renegade, and so on..

I don't want to just play, I want to enjoy playing. And I am sure there are many likeminded players. (Very many that are not, too)
I'd rather wait longer and play with players I know are serious about playing this game, than playing immediately and soon after regretting ever joining that game.
Dashariad

Post by Dashariad »

There are also subreddits and discord servers devoted to board games and BGA (not sure if there's a Bang one for either as my social media skills are sorely lacking). It takes a bit more effort to meet people there and arrange games with specific people. However, it sounds like the effort might be worth it for you to avoid the frustrations and get a "good" game of Bang to play.
board game nerd

Post by board game nerd »

I think it would be better if they reviled what team your on
davidlle

Post by davidlle »

One of the ways that the Chinese version known as Sanguosha (Killers of the Three Kingdoms) enhanced the gameplay and teamwork was to have a 3v3 variant in which the teams are known, and each team is trying to kill the opposing ruler. In fact, at the professional level this was the main way the game was played. I know DV Giochi hates Yoka Games big time, but they really should have taken a page from that. Works well for Bang! too, from the times I've tried.

Return to “Bang”