Algorithms

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
uk_dave_uk

Algorithms

Post by uk_dave_uk »

I thought this site would be different and I could use my skill.
I would be happy to pay for a true random game.
This is not random cribbage. What a pity it looks like I'm going back to game colony.
At least you can see the board there while your playing.
Silene

Re: Algorithms

Post by Silene »

uk_dave_uk wrote: 09 May 2022, 23:45 I would be happy to pay for a true random game.
No, what you really want is the random results to be manipulated in a way that it is more balanced than randomness usually is in order to match your unrealistic expectations of randomness.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Sometimes an image is worth a thousand words.

Left is truly random, right is "tweaked"

Humans expect "random" to be like the right image, but it's not.
uk_dave_uk

Post by uk_dave_uk »

If I have 1 2 6 7 8 9 and my opponent has 1 2 5 6 7 8
we both throw the 1 2 into there box and guess what turns up?
yes a 3! it happens regularly it is manipulated or biased.
you don't need a load of dots to explain this. I have read other peoples posts
they know what they are talking about and so do I.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Silene

Post by Silene »

With 12 Cards in your hands, there are 40 cards left in the deck, one of which is randomly drawn. 4 of them are a 3. So of course it happens regularly in 10% of the games.
When you take note of it, that's because you're on a bad run. So in a small sample, you might have more than 10% of course. But that is normal, because randomness has no memory and does not tend to "balance out" in a rather small sample.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
uk_dave_uk

Post by uk_dave_uk »

I've been on a site today that offered easy, medium, or hard games.
I think it was cribbage pro.
my opponent or bot was no better then me it was the programme that changed.
no need to give any fancy answers because I wont be back.
if you still feel need to give fancy answers without actually telling the truth
there may be a job coming up at number ten downing street soon. :lol:
tim_is_awesome

Post by tim_is_awesome »

it does feel that this game is less random more tweaked. i once predicted the cut card and suit 4 times in a row. i do wish the decks were truly random. i know that is hard to do in a computer due to seeds etc. but i expect random to be more like the left dot image. i feel that skill in the long run should matter, and it does not seem the case here. i do not want high point scores all the time. just random and let skill during the play, and better choices in the crib cards to make a bigger difference.
cigma

Post by cigma »

tim_is_awesome wrote: 07 July 2022, 05:44 it does feel that this game is less random more tweaked. i once predicted the cut card and suit 4 times in a row. i do wish the decks were truly random.
If you do so well in predicting the algorithm, I wonder why your winning rate in this 2-player game is 53 % :roll:
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
tim_is_awesome

Post by tim_is_awesome »

it was one time only. have not bothered since. just want to play an honest game without having to be concerned about how the game is involved with deciding who will win at the beginning.
Silene

Post by Silene »

tim_is_awesome wrote: 07 July 2022, 05:44 i do not want high point scores all the time. just random and let skill during the play, and better choices in the crib cards to make a bigger difference.
Here's the thing about games that involve a lot of luck: There is a big amount of games where one player wins, no matter if they played good or bad. So there are surely games where you can do whatever - and it doesn't change the result. There usually is no perfect fairness in a single game (and many times not even at-least-somewhat-fairness).

The fairness and proof of your skill only shows on the long run among many games. There are sometimes games, where you can overcome someone who is luckier but does mistakes when you have unlucky cards but make good decisions. So on the long run, you will have better results on average if you make good decisions. For single games - only sometimes.

If the lots of games, where luck is not fair, do not entertain you nevertheless, then it is just not the right game for you. For me, it is entertaining, to try and play the optimum, even if I don't get rewarded in THIS game but only in a FEW games.

Return to “Cribbage”