Is Conceding Allowable Etiquette?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Meeplelowda

Re: Is Conceding Allowable Etiquette?

Post by Meeplelowda »

Heidi_73 wrote: 08 August 2020, 02:35 Why complement yourself with 'Good game', and not wait on congratulations ?
Only moment it's a compliment to say Good game is when someone makes it difficult or impossible to score during the game. Never congrats to yourself with great game afterwards.
1) This is off topic. I asked about conceding.

2) No one was complimenting anyone. Despite the other thread on this topic elsewhere in this forum, it's just a common courtesy. We both said it, so apparently my opponent felt the same.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

diamant wrote: 14 August 2020, 17:31
Meeplelowda wrote: 12 July 2020, 00:28When playing chess, if you resign when your opponent has mate in 1 no one would accuse you of being a poor sport because you didn't "finish."
I do not agree with that.
On what possible basis do you not agree with that? There are literally thousands, if not 10s of thousands or more grandmaster games available in databases where a player resigns before checkmate because one player realizes it would be pointless to continue. Often many moves before checkmate because they can see at a depth of the game tree I can't even fathom. Now it's fine for you to disagree with whether this (rational) etiquette should apply to Hive, but disagreeing that it is common etiquette in chess is just arguing for the sake of arguing.
diamant

Post by diamant »

Meeplelowda wrote: 14 August 2020, 22:40Now it's fine for you to disagree with whether this (rational) etiquette should apply to Hive, but disagreeing that it is common etiquette in chess is just arguing for the sake of arguing.
I disagree with the wording I quoted, and I do not appreciate that the meaning of my opinions is distorted or caricatured.

Although a sentence starting with "No one" may be accurate, such as:
"No one has a tail with feathers."

such a sentence is generally false and intended to abuse the reader. I have the right to have a different opinion from yours or the common one and I’m not called "no one".
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

diamant wrote: 15 August 2020, 09:44
Meeplelowda wrote: 14 August 2020, 22:40Now it's fine for you to disagree with whether this (rational) etiquette should apply to Hive, but disagreeing that it is common etiquette in chess is just arguing for the sake of arguing.
I disagree with the wording I quoted, and I do not appreciate that the meaning of my opinions is distorted or caricatured.

Although a sentence starting with "No one" may be accurate, such as:
"No one has a tail with feathers."

such a sentence is generally false and intended to abuse the reader. I have the right to have a different opinion from yours or the common one and I’m not called "no one".
Yes, I have encountered the type of person who claims that a categorical statement cannot be made unless someone has literally polled every human being on the planet. But wait, that assumes that no other beings, such as extraterrestrials, have developed chess. So one would have to poll all alien beings who have developed chess, throughout the universe, about their opinions on resigning in chess. You got me. I did not conduct such a poll and regret making statements on behalf of all sentient chess-playing beings in the universe.
SleeperService

Post by SleeperService »

Heidi_73 wrote: 08 August 2020, 02:35 Why complement yourself with 'Good game', and not wait on congratulations ?
Only moment it's a compliment to say Good game is when someone makes it difficult or impossible to score during the game. Never congrats to yourself with great game afterwards.
People are not complementing themselves when they write "good game" or "gg". This is a simple form of politeness akin to a handshake. It's even suggested on the BGA site.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

SleeperService wrote: 03 November 2020, 20:46
People are not complementing themselves when they write "good game" or "gg". This is a simple form of politeness akin to a handshake. It's even suggested on the BGA site.
You aren't going to convince the people who want to be offended by this. There is an even longer thread about this in the "Discussion" forum.
theagricolan

Post by theagricolan »

The question is really, when you agree to play a game, is it assumed that all players are expected to play to the conclusion unless they all agree to a concession? Or is it assumed that players who have effectively lost should concede (since it’s obviously rude for a leader to suggest his opponent concede) and allow more time for “real” gameplay? The Chess and Go world lean toward the latter. The culture on BGA seems to lean toward the former.

Everyone has their own set of expectations going in when playing a game. Personally, when I feel that contention is over and the winner has been decided, I’d rather not waste a second of precious time making moves that won’t change the positions, even if there’s only one or two turns left. But other people have other expectations. Maybe they like to play for personal high score? Maybe they want to try to expand the score gap to eke a couple more ELO outta you. Maybe they just love the feel of making that final winning move, threading the needle, etc.

As a result, it’s never a bad idea to ask, since you don’t know what your opponents’ expectations were going in.
Silene

Post by Silene »

theagricolan wrote: 23 July 2022, 17:49 The question is really, when you agree to play a game, is it assumed that all players are expected to play to the conclusion unless they all agree to a concession? Or is it assumed that players who have effectively lost should concede (since it’s obviously rude for a leader to suggest his opponent concede) and allow more time for “real” gameplay? The Chess and Go world lean toward the latter. The culture on BGA seems to lean toward the former.
Can't say about chess, but in Go you can get into situation where resigning is inpolite: when you do it very late. If just something catastrophic happened , that you think you cannot recover from, or when in late mid-game it becomes clear that you're too far behind to catch up, then resigning is the polite thing to do. But if in a lost situation you play on and on for a while and then resign just before counting points, then that would be a bit rude. When you missed the chance to resign politely earlier, then you should at least finish the count to reveal the exact score.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.

Return to “Hive”