Tutorial on BGA

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
silentcj

Tutorial on BGA

Post by silentcj »

I've had a go at creating a tutorial for Agricola in BGA - would love to get some feedback/reviews from other seasoned players.

https://boardgamearena.com/tutorial?gam ... torial=721

It's still a bit rough around the edges in places, but I think i've managed to create a pretty solid "narrative" that covers most aspects of the game.

Current thoughts:
• Length - this would be by far the longest tutorial currently on BGA but i'm unsure what comments to trim. There's an argument that it doesn't need to showcase a full game but you'd be missing out on quite a few things by cutting it short.
• Images - need to add a few more for clarity in some places.
• Interface and sizing - It seems to work well with my settings but not sure how robust it is on other browsers or using different zoom settings - it's likely not usable on mobile devices!
• Terminology/Language/Formatting - can probably be tightened up in a lot of areas to be more consice and consistent

Also in case you're unaware the current tutorial system in BGA is based off adding comments to a single game replay, so the move sequence in the turtorial is effectively locked, so i'm unable to change anything in this regard without recreating the entire thing from scratch.
euklid314

Re: Tutorial on BGA

Post by euklid314 »

I watched the tutorial till harvest 2, inclusive. I am impressed! This tutorial does a good job.

Please note, that one spells renovate with a single "n". This is the only constructive criticism I have to make. :-)
Replicat

Post by Replicat »

I only played through the beginning and plan to go through the rest at some point. Just want to add a word of encouragement. This is very high quality work! Impressed.
Xott_Ganner

Post by Xott_Ganner »

Nice work , awesome tutorial , thank you
Joltarin

Post by Joltarin »

Over all, this is a very good tutorial. Thanks for making it, as I hope it will help more players join us in playing this game we enjoy so much. :D I do have a few suggestions though.

An odd inconsistency happens with the first action after the hearth is built as the person marker is placed automatically instead of the player clicking on the action like normal.

Nitpicks:

Why did you start placing fields 1 space from the top left?

In round 11, the "n" is missing from "action" in the message.

The stage 4 harvest message has "lets hope" instead of "let's hope" (since you seem to mean to use the contraction for "let us"). Also two messages during round 12 and another in round 14 are missing the apostrophe (typically typed as a single quote mark) from the same word.

When building fences, the second use of the word "pastures" in the message should be singular.

One of the messages about mushroom collector had an all lowercase "I'll".

At the end of the game, a message said "that what" where you probably mean "than what" and another that said "were a some" -- the "a" is extraneous.

Lastly there are some places where I would add a comma and several sentences you omitted the period at the end.
silentcj

Post by silentcj »

Joltarin wrote: 19 July 2022, 05:17 Over all, this is a very good tutorial. Thanks for making it, as I hope it will help more players join us in playing this game we enjoy so much. :D I do have a few suggestions though.
Thank you for the kind words and feedback, it's been a few months since I updated this turotial but i'll go back through it and correct the language when i get the chance :D
Joltarin wrote: 19 July 2022, 05:17 An odd inconsistency happens with the first action after the hearth is built as the person marker is placed automatically instead of the player clicking on the action like normal.
If i remember correctly i kept getting an error message when trying to select the option to make the player take the action, so i didn't have a choice but to use the "continue" option in this spot.
Joltarin wrote: 19 July 2022, 05:17Why did you start placing fields 1 space from the top left?
This is actually quite a common location for the first field in high level play as it allows for a lot of flexibility in your farm arrangement! However, i used this space in this game as it allowed me to create the scenario where i could explain the adjacency rules more clearly later on when plowing the next fields :)

Return to “Agricola”