Nobody playing Arena?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
msclark

Nobody playing Arena?

Post by msclark »

Slightly curious why there's very little activity in Arena for this game. It seems to be quite popular - 858 games are currently running - but only 23 of those are Arena games. Do people just not like the settings?
Mathijs79

Re: Nobody playing Arena?

Post by Mathijs79 »

I have occasionally signed up for Arena and gotten zero response.

The game is best with four players anyway, so not really something to play competitively imho.
Tandyys

Post by Tandyys »

I'd gladly play arena (just hit 100 ELO today) but i can't find what is the ruleset for arena. can anyone help me there?
msclark

Post by msclark »

Tandyys wrote: 30 July 2022, 21:54 I'd gladly play arena (just hit 100 ELO today) but i can't find what is the ruleset for arena. can anyone help me there?
4p, advanced board, standard rules, standard monuments, civilisation buildings, hidden scoring.

You can check any Arena rules by clicking on the cog icon by the game in Arena mode.
Tandyys

Post by Tandyys »

ok, thank you very much (for the info and the tip)
Greyshoe

Post by Greyshoe »

I myself don't see what Arena mode adds to the gaming experience. There is already a ranking system configured into the base system.

Combine that with being forced into expansion add-ons im not interested in and my preference of 2 player games vs 3-4 for T&E its doesnt have the appeal for me.

If this game is better @ 2 player vs multiplayer is really determined by what kind of game you want to play. 3-4, Its looser and more communal. I really only recommend playing it this way if everyone in the game knows each other as it takes an understanding of everyone working together to keep it balanced. 1 player going rogue or being forgotten can throw the balance off. 2 player is more strategic and thats what I enjoy about it. The common complaints I hear regarding 2 player (usually that its just luck based by who gets the most red) I think are caused by trying to use the strategies from 3-4 player T&E in 2 player. They are different games and much of what may work in multiplayer will often just leave you in a bad situation in 2 player.
sonarjack

Post by sonarjack »

I'm playing a couple of Arena games, but yeah, I don't like the settings. I would prefer the base game: original map, monuments only.

It's not about 2p vs 3/4p for me – I enjoy all player counts in different ways, though 3/4>2.
EllieK

Post by EllieK »

sonarjack wrote: 20 August 2022, 07:27 I'm playing a couple of Arena games, but yeah, I don't like the settings. I would prefer the base game: original map, monuments only.

It's not about 2p vs 3/4p for me – I enjoy all player counts in different ways, though 3/4>2.
I agree with sonarjack. T&E plays 'strangely' which is an obstacle to entry. I think keeping the settings 'simple', like sonarjack suggests, can only increase the number of players. I'd rather play a simple game than not play an advanced game for lack of opponents.
Miroku20X6

Post by Miroku20X6 »

When playing T&E in real life 10-15 years ago, I always played the standard settings. Never once played the advanced map, never played the civilization buildings. Game seemed perfect as it was.

Playing it now, though, I really think the civilization buildings add so much strategy for so little rules overhead. I’ve been happy it’s been a part of the arena season, and I’ve felt a bit disappointed when playing games without them.
sonarjack

Post by sonarjack »

One more thought, which might be good for Arena if not for the standard settings – open scoring. I've found that I like hidden scoring irl, but prefer open scoring in online games, especially long turn-based games. At the table you have a vague sense of everyone's scoring, which is just totally lost when it's been a couple of days since you checked into a game.

Return to “Tigris & Euphrates”