Collaboration allowed?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
BillTundle

Collaboration allowed?

Post by BillTundle »

I am currently in a game where a player has played a priest against me (see my card) and is then saying in chat what they saw.

I don't think its mentioned in the rules but surely this is wrong as it makes the game pretty boring.

Any thoughts?
Jellby

Re: Collaboration allowed?

Post by Jellby »

Any reason why the other players should believe anything this player says?
voriki

Post by voriki »

(Personal opinion)
Saying it in chat is a big No No.
The game works with hidden and public information, and you have to know the difference.

What could one say? You could alert someone that a player is getting dangerously close to winning the game, and you need to crank up the heat on that person. Since if the one player wins, obviously you never could. So a temporary(!) alliance could be allowed. But overal it's also still a game and needs to be enjoyable for everyone involved, including the person on top.

But revealing hidden information is a huge downer killing the spirit of the game.
Last edited by voriki on 22 July 2022, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
twenty9oh7

Post by twenty9oh7 »

The "official" AEG (2012) rules linked state: "When you discard the Priest, you can look at one other player's hand. Do not reveal the hand to all players."

The Premium AEG edition (2016) rules linked state: "When you discard the Priest, you can look at another player’s hand. Do not reveal the hand to any other players."

The Z-man edition (2019) rules state: "Choose another player and secretly look at their hand (without revealing it to anyone else)."

The definition of "reveal" per Cambridge Dictionary: "to make known or show something that is surprising or that was previously secret"

I'd say it is not supposed to be allowed and wouldn't play with that person again.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

In the spirit of the rules of this game: You may not actually show the card to other players, but you can say whatever you want. Other players have to decide if they can trust you. Table talk is part of the game.
fiscused

Post by fiscused »

No, table talk is not allowed in this game. That would make a totally different game. There would be no reason for a player to lie in the case given above, because it would always benefit him.
GeorgeBull

Post by GeorgeBull »

Totally agree with You. Table talks are a great part of board-games. But You have to double check what You write, because it can ruin the game if You give a hint about any card in the hand.
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

BillTundle wrote: 21 July 2022, 16:05 I am currently in a game where a player has played a priest against me (see my card) and is then saying in chat what they saw.

I don't think its mentioned in the rules but surely this is wrong as it makes the game pretty boring.

Any thoughts?
It's blatant cheating, the rules specifically state that you can't publicly give information about another players hand. You can make banter saying that someone has the princess but if you look at someone's hand and say what they have then that's a no.

Return to “Love Letter”