First player advantage?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
KeithHendricks

Re: First player advantage?

Post by KeithHendricks »

Try not to prescribe a misreading of collective data based on an observation of the behavior of a single datum. One does not read a trend from a single datum, and hence your first paragraph and your second paragraph are a non sequitur.

Your last paragraph contains another non sequitur—the first and second sentences are logically unrelated. The performance of skilled players against unskilled players has nothing to do with a sample lifted from the performance of only skilled players playing in the same rank.
ck425

Post by ck425 »

Archduke wrote: 02 August 2022, 08:36 I've updated the stats on the first post. With many more games in place, these should be somewhat more reliable.
@Archduke is there a breakdown of % wins by game length? I'd be curious if the short game gives p2-4 less time to catch up or if the faster island flips offsets the first player advantage.
effaraitsch

Post by effaraitsch »

Any update? Maybe we revisit the short game seeing as it is underplayed currently (despite being meant to be the main game mode as per the designer).
danielvictor

Post by danielvictor »

Keith,with good players you never get Newfoundland or Labrador because the islands on the other side get taken.
GTSchemer

Post by GTSchemer »

danielvictor wrote: 02 September 2023, 05:04 Keith,with good players you never get Newfoundland or Labrador because the islands on the other side get taken.
This is absolutely my experience. Without Norwegians, the other side is virtually always taken.
nandblock

Post by nandblock »

I suspect the reason that the 1st player advantage is strongest in the 3P game is because the imitation spots added to 4P games but not 3P considerably weaken the disadvantage of going late in turn order. I would not have thought that just 2 added spots would make that big of a difference but perhaps they do.

It would be nice if the stats separated games with and without the expansion island boards.

I feel that at all player counts the first player advantage is actually impressively small, compared to many other games with huge first player advantages (Tigris & Euphrates e g.). AFFO seems reasonably balanced, really, judging from the stats here.

Return to “A Feast for Odin”