Rules question, maximum of 13 cards played per turn?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
MrBeardy

Re: Rules question, maximum of 13 cards played per turn?

Post by MrBeardy »

Lotus Blossom wrote: 09 August 2022, 16:01
MrBeardy wrote: 09 August 2022, 12:30
Lotus Blossom wrote: 04 August 2022, 15:44 If you click on the Rules Summary button on this page https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?ga ... elli#rules

You will see in bold the restriction right at the bottom of the example.

I think the reasoning it was brought in was explained in the bug reporting systemm on here.
I must be looking in the wrong place as when I go to the rules summary on that page i can't find it in there. Can you post a screengrab?
Click where the red arrow is. Easy to miss! That should show a pop-up and you will see the rule in the section titled EXAMPLE.

thanks but that is exactly where I have been reading. I cannot see where in that section it mentions a 13 card limit. Perhaps you could expand that section and highlight where it states 13 cards?
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

tchobello wrote: 09 August 2022, 17:11
MrBeardy wrote: 09 August 2022, 12:32 Do you mean it's an arbitrary decision made by BGA rather than an official rule? If so shouldn't this be made a user selectable game option during game creation, or perhaps even a drop-down of what the applied limit will be?
As written in Machiavelli Players Group where you can follow updates...
We have decided to follow the Pagat rules and recommendation about hoarding.
13 cards are dealt.
Aces can be played low or high : A23 or QKA but not KA2
you can't play more than 13 cards per turn.

from Pagat :
A general problem with manipulation rummy games is that laying down sets and runs helps the other players by giving them extra manipulation possibilities. The result is that players tend to hoard cards, waiting for others to meld, and hoping to go out by playing their whole hand at once. One solution to this problem is to limit the number of cards that can be played on one turn.

13 cards dealt, 13 cards limit: easy to remember.
This solution works perfectly well for years and we won't waste time to add an option giving poor game experience and therefore complaints.

Sorry if you didn't find this on Rules Summary but it's dealt by Players Community...
Ok, but something that fundamental should maybe be added to the rules description? New players won't be reading in a players group/forum thread.
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

MrBeardy wrote: 10 August 2022, 00:53
tchobello wrote: 09 August 2022, 17:11
MrBeardy wrote: 09 August 2022, 12:32 Do you mean it's an arbitrary decision made by BGA rather than an official rule? If so shouldn't this be made a user selectable game option during game creation, or perhaps even a drop-down of what the applied limit will be?
As written in Machiavelli Players Group where you can follow updates...
We have decided to follow the Pagat rules and recommendation about hoarding.
13 cards are dealt.
Aces can be played low or high : A23 or QKA but not KA2
you can't play more than 13 cards per turn.

from Pagat :
A general problem with manipulation rummy games is that laying down sets and runs helps the other players by giving them extra manipulation possibilities. The result is that players tend to hoard cards, waiting for others to meld, and hoping to go out by playing their whole hand at once. One solution to this problem is to limit the number of cards that can be played on one turn.

13 cards dealt, 13 cards limit: easy to remember.
This solution works perfectly well for years and we won't waste time to add an option giving poor game experience and therefore complaints.

Sorry if you didn't find this on Rules Summary but it's dealt by Players Community...
Ok, but something that fundamental should maybe be added to the rules description? New players won't be reading in a players group/forum thread.
As said before, players community deal with Rules Description,as they do with all translations.

Anyway, I've added some clarification in Game Presentation.
Lotus Blossom

Post by Lotus Blossom »

MrBeardy wrote: 10 August 2022, 00:49

thanks but that is exactly where I have been reading. I cannot see where in that section it mentions a 13 card limit. Perhaps you could expand that section and highlight where it states 13 cards?
Sorry, I didn't realise there was more than one EXAMPLE section, here it is:-

I agree it's hard to spot though.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

Lotus Blossom wrote: 10 August 2022, 12:06
MrBeardy wrote: 10 August 2022, 00:49

Sorry, I didn't realise there was more than one EXAMPLE section, here it is:-

I agree it's hard to spot though.
well so it is! thanks for that. Is anyone able to edit the section above where it says any number of cards can be played to remove the contradiction?

Return to “Machiavelli”