How do I translate?

BGA localization discussions
hcientist

How do I translate?

Post by hcientist »

Carcassonne ( https://boardgamearena.com/translation? ... translated ) has only 1 string missing for full translation to English. I was hoping to help tick that box, but I can't seem to submit the translation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ There's a text box there but I can't click in it, and if I try for `request a change` it doesn't work bc there's no translation yet.
Een

Re: How do I translate?

Post by Een »

Indeed, this type of labelling should not be used anymore in games. I added the missing original translation.
Thanks for reporting this.
Salvidrim

Post by Salvidrim »

Same issue with the same string for the Hunters & Gatherers version of Carcassonne :https://boardgamearena.com/translation? ... translated

I also cannot contribute a new translation, and cannot request a change because it says I can only "request a change to an existing translation".

Why can't I contribute a new translation? I have 100% karma. Is there a minimum account age, such as 90 days? If there is, it should be mentioned in the FAQ!!
Een

Post by Een »

As I explained, this type of labelling should not be used anymore in games. It's there because Hunters and Gatherers was adapted from Carcassonne who used this as an older development.
I have created the first English translation that is needed for any subsequent translations and not properly generated with this labelling. This is purely a technical problem, and doesn't need to be mentioned in the FAQ as it has no reason to be "frequent". Thanks for reporting it though.

Nota: did you really use bold, underline and italic? This feels almost as bad as all caps in a public forum. May I also mention that your forum signature feels like a little... too much, especially on a website dedicated to board games? I have seen no other user with something like that in many years. Please don't plaster the BGA forum with this.
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

Een wrote: 07 January 2021, 09:16 Nota: did you really use bold, underline and italic? This feels almost as bad as all caps in a public forum. May I also mention that your forum signature feels like a little... too much, especially on a website dedicated to board games? I have seen no other user with something like that in many years. Please don't plaster the BGA forum with this.
GIFs should just be banned from signatures, they're annoying and ruin the forum for everyone.
Salvidrim

Post by Salvidrim »

KongKing123 wrote: 07 January 2021, 14:00
Een wrote: 07 January 2021, 09:16 Nota: did you really use bold, underline and italic? This feels almost as bad as all caps in a public forum. May I also mention that your forum signature feels like a little... too much, especially on a website dedicated to board games? I have seen no other user with something like that in many years. Please don't plaster the BGA forum with this.
GIFs should just be banned from signatures, they're annoying and ruin the forum for everyone.
Sorry, I literally just copied over the signature I had been using on basically every forum I'm on, but you're right that I notice that on BGA signature etiquette seems to be different, with few people having signatures at all. Even though the GIF promotes something healthy (Wikipedia) and not some spammy ad). I've trimmed down the signature to basically nothing, removing all the images.

Also @Een sorry for misuing emphasis in my message, I may have over overreacted to being unable to contribute new translations and being unable ti find out why anywhere in the FAQ, rules or forums. There was a problem I could fix but was prevented to for unclear reasons and I let it get under my skin, apologies. :)
Een

Post by Een »

Salvidrim wrote: 09 January 2021, 23:05 Also @Een sorry for misuing emphasis in my message, I may have over overreacted to being unable to contribute new translations and being unable ti find out why anywhere in the FAQ, rules or forums. There was a problem I could fix but was prevented to for unclear reasons and I let it get under my skin, apologies. :)
No worries, everyone can be a little on edge sometimes. Not a lot of people will write back to admit it with an apology though: much appreciated.
Overall, if you stick around you'll see that things are not perfect, but we think we still offer a lot to appreciate and enjoy!

And thanks for trimming down the signature :)
Felikios

Post by Felikios »

I can help translating in greek... how do I do this?
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

Felikios wrote: 04 February 2021, 23:53 I can help translating in greek... how do I do this?
Add Greek as a spoken language in your preferences: https://boardgamearena.com/preferences?section=lang

Then read the FAQ: https://boardgamearena.com/faq?anchor=faq_translations
twenty9oh7

Post by twenty9oh7 »

Een wrote: 28 December 2020, 10:29 Indeed, this type of labelling should not be used anymore in games. I added the missing original translation.
Thanks for reporting this.
Een, are the two strings that are untranslated in English for Machiavelli an example of this? They say "LB_REORDER_CARDS_BY_COLOR" and "LB_REORDER_CARDS_BY_RANK"

I have looked at translations a little bit and have never been able to click into the white box. After reading many of the FAQs, I can't seem to figure it out and I'd like to learn how to help out where I can.

Thanks

Return to “Translations”