kingmaking in arena ?!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
silentProtest

kingmaking in arena ?!

Post by silentProtest »

Hey, I know there is nothing to be done about kingmaking in regular games, but red thumb that people after - what about king making in arena ?? any consequences for that behavior ??

(just a little example https://boardgamearena.com/1/catan?table=292590035 - not that it can be proven definitively by just one game - this game in a nutshell: one of the guys placed robber only on my fields, even if shared ones did make more sense and the other guy was leading. second guy did place one time of one on a shared field, robbing me, but it was not a critical resource for the other player - also the other player was not the "king" to be made)
el cosimo

Re: kingmaking in arena ?!

Post by el cosimo »

Don’t question other players in forum. Use the report function for it.

And I don’t see any suspicious in the history of the player.
silentProtest

Post by silentProtest »

el cosimo wrote: 19 August 2022, 07:48 Don’t question other players in forum. Use the report function for it.

And I don’t see any suspicious in the history of the player.

have you tried to report king making ?! - then do and you will see my issue (kingmaking is not reportable....- which might be fine in non arena)

let me be more detailed! : "The best way to combat Kingmaking is to give the Kingmaker player a red thumb (public red thumbs). There is no use filling in a report here: please give a red thumb to the one who made the kingmaking moves."
el cosimo

Post by el cosimo »

Yeah never get involved by it. But it is not allowed here to talk about specific cases on forum
silentProtest

Post by silentProtest »

el cosimo wrote: 19 August 2022, 11:21 Yeah never get involved by it. But it is not allowed here to talk about specific cases on forum
this case was an example of a systemic problem. saw such things also in other games. maybe should ve posted that in some general forum, but it seemed in catan extra easy to do and extra impactful - no matter how good you play, you never win a vanilla catan playing 1 vs 2.
el cosimo

Post by el cosimo »

silentProtest wrote: 19 August 2022, 12:25
el cosimo wrote: 19 August 2022, 11:21 Yeah never get involved by it. But it is not allowed here to talk about specific cases on forum
this case was an example of a systemic problem. saw such things also in other games. maybe should ve posted that in some general forum, but it seemed in catan extra easy to do and extra impactful - no matter how good you play, you never win a vanilla catan playing 1 vs 2.
Every game is it possible… if you get opponent that is a friend that only help you to win. Problem in Catan is a bit that they can always find an excuse like: yeah (s)he is behind but had a good that I wanted…

Only if it happen in multiple games, you can proof it..
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

Especially in Arena (i.e. competetive play) in the endgame the player in the weakest position may not target the leader of the game but the player in the second-strongest position.

The reasoning: If you are that far behind that a win of the game is virtually impossible than you hope to overtake the 2nd player and you hope that the first player will finish soon afterwards.

This is VERY unsatisfying from a CATAN standpoint since it is part of the game that the leading player is slowed down by all his opponents in order to balance out the equilibrium of power. Everyone should try to win the game till the very end.

But in Arena (3-player game) the winner gets two wins, the 2nd player gets one win and one loss and the 3rd player gets two losses. Thus 2nd place is much better than 3rd place and teaming against the 2nd player can happen. The player in the lead naturally targets the 2nd player since this player is the biggest threat. The player in the last place may target the 2nd player if he thinks that he cannot reach the first player and he may catch the 2nd player.

In another situation the player in the 2nd-strongest position may help the 1st-strongest position to end the game more quickly and may target the 3rd player, i.e. the weakest position. If the leading player has 9 VP, the 2nd has 4 VP, the 3rd has 3 VP (extreme case) this may happen. Again very unsatisfying from a gaming standpoint but perfectly reasonable from a competitive standpoint, i.e. in Arena play.

I do not know if my story fits to your game, silentProtest, since I did not replay your game. But perhaps my story shows situations where Kingmaking happens without the player 1 and player 3 (or player 1 and player 2) being close friends and without them having planned teaming up before the game. Perhaps because of such situations as I described them, Kingmaking ist not reportable in BGA. I assume that the moderators would not be able to find good and just decisions if they had to judge all potential Kingmaking issues.
silentProtest

Post by silentProtest »

el cosimo wrote: 19 August 2022, 14:54
silentProtest wrote: 19 August 2022, 12:25
Every game is it possible… if you get opponent that is a friend that only help you to win. Problem in Catan is a bit that they can always find an excuse like: yeah (s)he is behind but had a good that I wanted…

Only if it happen in multiple games, you can proof it..
just my points - proof it and do WHAT with it ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
to reitarate: dont care about that one game - asking for a solution if that escalates and is clearly proofable in multiple instances....
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

Prove multiple kingmaking?

Please note: Kingmaking and making bad moves is allowed at BGA, since you still play according to the rules of the game. So there is no need to prove kingmaking.

On the other hand: If two players team up regularly to boost their ELO you can report it because ELO cheating is an offence.

If you find 50 games of Catan between player A and B and in all those games they never(!) place the robber on their partner, regardless of the game state, then they are boosting their ELO and you can report them (they could be the same person even).

Return to “Catan”