Some players clocks don't wind down?

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
BigSoz

Some players clocks don't wind down?

Post by BigSoz »

This has probably been raised before, but I can't find it on forum.
I'm a new player, so this might be obvious, but playing tournaments and repeatedly see players whose clocks never move -- like 10+ hours of thinking time, but my clock shrinks if I miss a minute.
Why is this?
Thanks for any feedback!
jadeine

Re: Some players clocks don't wind down?

Post by jadeine »

Je confirme le texte de BigSoz ! Comment est ce possible ? En 5 ans d'ancienneté sur BGA je n'ai jamais eu à subir ce problème...Effectivement dans un tournoi en cours : 99 (jeu d'addition de cartes) July 22, table 286794112 - coup 66 - progression 40 % - mon adversaire absent depuis 7 h ce matin, indiqué sur son profil 8 heures d'absence, son sablier est resté bloqué à 21h08 de temps restant à jouer !!! il est bien bloqué...et le temps pase....

Que faire, ne souhaitant pas continuer dans ces conditions peut t-on activer l'abandon du jeu dans ce tournoi ?

Merci de répondre étant donné l'urgence au niveau temps dans un tournoi !
jmcl99

Post by jmcl99 »

This is almost certainly because the tournaments in question have 'playing hours' set for them. Outside these hours players timers do not wind down - there is usually a 'crescent moon' symbol over the time remaining to indicate this.
jadeine

Post by jadeine »

OK I didn't know that... now I understand.. Thank you...
BigSoz

Post by BigSoz »

Thank you for explanation!
It makes no sense at all … 3 x European players at table and clock winds in early hours, but not during day!!! But this is this is why. Thank you.
Moons and timers.
Tournaments suck!
I have to be awake at 02:00 to play, but can sleep during day. Weird! Being penalised for early nights!
Again thank you for feedback/explanation.
GL to you both!
Acuado

Post by Acuado »

Before submit for the tournament, you must read condition and see this line https://prnt.sc/R1IIpn17wCsC, exemple take from a tournament with time play
WhisperJack

Post by WhisperJack »

This feature is trash and it ruins tournaments because it is abused. The "sleeping" player can pop back online whenever they desire and make a move which starts your clock. Bollocks.
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

WhisperJack wrote: 20 August 2022, 21:44 This feature is trash and it ruins tournaments because it is abused. The "sleeping" player can pop back online whenever they desire and make a move which starts your clock. Bollocks.
You're a premium player so just start your own tournaments with whatever rules you prefer.
Silene

Post by Silene »

WhisperJack wrote: 20 August 2022, 21:44 This feature is trash and it ruins tournaments because it is abused. The "sleeping" player can pop back online whenever they desire and make a move which starts your clock. Bollocks.
They can't start your timer anytime. Only when it's the tournament's active hours and that means their clock was ticking just before.

The problem is that you joined tournaments with active hours that doesn't match your time zone. The feature of setting active hours (time of the day when clock is ticking) is to be able to play fast-paced tournaments that get paused at night. Obviously this only works for players who live in the same time zone (because otherwise tournament can't be fast because it's always night for someone).

So the idea is that you check the time settings before you join a tournament. You can either join slower tournaments (without having any active hours set) or fast-paced tournaments in your time-zone.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Silene wrote: 21 August 2022, 00:41So the idea is that you check the time settings before you join a tournament.
But reading the fine print is such a chore.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”