1st player wins

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Tobilerone29

1st player wins

Post by Tobilerone29 »

Have I got the strategy all wrong? If I complete a square on the same turn as the other player in a 2 player game, they'll get the higher bonus since they go before me. Is there a way to take 1st player from them?
cosmosis

Re: 1st player wins

Post by cosmosis »

It sounds like you're playing games where both people are just going for completing squares one at a time?

Maybe try the strategy of expanding to a lot of squares quickly and then filling them in. You might lose out a little on statues, but you'll get more points from being able to reach trucks and bulldozers first.

I find the game is a little straightforward if you play without goals too. I'd add those if you haven't already.

A lot of games players who aren't first at the beginning will finish the map first since they managed a more efficient path throughout the game.
Terryfic

Post by Terryfic »

I found a great tutorial at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whLywB_JTQk
cjr

Post by cjr »

I think the first player has a decent advantage in 2p, probably about 4-5 points on average with or without objectives. There are some cases when starting with a smaller piece forces the hand on the first turn (e.g. if there is a panda objective, it is often not beneficial to take an N piece as first player as it can severely limit the options on consecutive turns. Bidding for first player is probably the most fair solution which is not "hacky", but I know it has never been proposed as part of the official rules.

Objectives can make the benefit for the first player larger, e.g. if there is an objective for a single bear type, the first player has a decent chance of locking out the 2nd player from that objective altogether.
cctsai

Post by cctsai »

cjr wrote: 25 August 2022, 06:24 I think the first player has a decent advantage in 2p, probably about 4-5 points on average with or without objectives. There are some cases when starting with a smaller piece forces the hand on the first turn (e.g. if there is a panda objective, it is often not beneficial to take an N piece as first player as it can severely limit the options on consecutive turns. Bidding for first player is probably the most fair solution which is not "hacky", but I know it has never been proposed as part of the official rules.

Objectives can make the benefit for the first player larger, e.g. if there is an objective for a single bear type, the first player has a decent chance of locking out the 2nd player from that objective altogether.
Hope the bidding thing will be executed one day! And thanks a lot for sharing your expert opinion :)

Do you still hold the same opinion, and do you know if it is a "common sense" among experts? It's a bit sad that such a beautiful game has this discrepancy :|
Nikoz2021

Post by Nikoz2021 »

Yeah in board games the 1st player always wins. :lol:
Mio1Kenobi

Post by Mio1Kenobi »

At two players, it certainly does feel like the 1st player advantage is too great. I haven't tried playing with more players, but I imagine it's the same. Depending on which achievements are used, it can really be a killer.

For me, at 2 players, Patchwork would be the preferred game to play. Specifically the Halloween version, as it has re-balanced patches, based on app data, to eliminate the first player advantage that the original has.
wodan46

Post by wodan46 »

Wonder how the game would play if covering a Construction Crew caused 1st player to rotate to you.

Overall though I'm not sure how much it matters. 1st player will be able to win a race for any specific thing, but the 2nd player can pursue other things. 1st player will also have slightly less flexibility and slightly slower on an even turn basis, given them being shorted one square on turn 1.

Return to “Bärenpark”