bang sucks, 1 game can't stand it

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
voriki

Re: bang sucks, 1 game can't stand it

Post by voriki »

kuzestanx wrote: 17 August 2022, 13:50 I'm not a coding expert, and I do not know how "Bang!" is written. Well, I'm going to assume, for example, that adding a character from the Valley of Shadows who can just play bang like a gatling once per turn is easier than adding Kit Carson with his special draw phase.

Idk, maybe I'm asking about the motivation of the developers? I mean, they made a basic version, then they improved it and now it's almost perfect, but now there's some kind of barrier where they say "no, that's enough". Maybe the gaming community can influence this? I'm not talking about add-ons, I'm interested in the ability to choose a character at least
Adding a new character requires publishers approval first.

What motivates a developer? What motivates you? The developers are either volunteers, or some are being paid for their work. What thrives a volunteer? The developers are part of the gaming community themselves too.
kuzestanx

Post by kuzestanx »

voriki wrote: 17 August 2022, 14:52
kuzestanx wrote: 17 August 2022, 13:50 I'm not a coding expert, and I do not know how "Bang!" is written. Well, I'm going to assume, for example, that adding a character from the Valley of Shadows who can just play bang like a gatling once per turn is easier than adding Kit Carson with his special draw phase.

Idk, maybe I'm asking about the motivation of the developers? I mean, they made a basic version, then they improved it and now it's almost perfect, but now there's some kind of barrier where they say "no, that's enough". Maybe the gaming community can influence this? I'm not talking about add-ons, I'm interested in the ability to choose a character at least
Adding a new character requires publishers approval first.

What motivates a developer? What motivates you? The developers are either volunteers, or some are being paid for their work. What thrives a volunteer? The developers are part of the gaming community themselves too.
I just realized that it would be good to know if you were involved in the development of the game in any way, cos you are well aware. I just caught myself thinking that our conversation looks like I'm a peasant from the 9th century who asks the bishop why there is no harvest. If seriously, you seemed to me just an informed forum member. Correct me if this is not true

Something motivated them to make the game at the current level, but does not move them to work further. But I'd like to hear a more definitive answer. The answers "I'm busy with another project - I like it more / people ask for better", "it's not very cool to be a volunteer - 1 btc and I will work", "I don't know how to program it - I need a team" will be absolutely clear to me. This way the community will know if it can help.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Basically the bang community was very toxic and just ripped off my motivation. Bang is one of the worst game to program because the game is described and played by most player as a very casual game and as such the rulebook is not precise at all, and some player want to play it very competively which implies some very intricated situations. So good luck with anyone that want to take up the project.

Voriki is informed because i answered very clearly similar questions in the past year.
kuzestanx

Post by kuzestanx »

Tisaac wrote: 17 August 2022, 16:17 Basically the bang community was very toxic and just ripped off my motivation. Bang is one of the worst game to programmed because the game is described and played by most player as a very casual game and as such the rulebook is not precise at all, and some player want to play it very competively which implies some very intricated situations. So good luck with anyone that want to take up the project.
Thanks a lot for your answer. The bang community is really toxic. I'm surprised by the words "the rulebook is not precise at all". I don't know of a single controversial, unresolved game situation in the basic version.

Thank you for your efforts and your patience. Do I understand correctly that you were the only person responsible for developing the game here (or did the bulk of the work) and will not be returning due to the community?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

kuzestanx wrote: 17 August 2022, 16:34
Tisaac wrote: 17 August 2022, 16:17 Basically the bang community was very toxic and just ripped off my motivation. Bang is one of the worst game to programmed because the game is described and played by most player as a very casual game and as such the rulebook is not precise at all, and some player want to play it very competively which implies some very intricated situations. So good luck with anyone that want to take up the project.
Thanks a lot for your answer. The bang community is really toxic. I'm surprised by the words "the rulebook is not precise at all". I don't know of a single controversial, unresolved game situation in the basic version.

Thank you for your efforts and your patience. Do I understand correctly that you were the only person responsible for developing the game here (or did the bulk of the work) and will not be returning due to the community?
If the rulebook is precise, then why is there a 10+ pages long FAQ for the game ? What about resolving gatling and indians ? Should be in turn order starting by the player next to the player who played it or should it be simultaneous with private decision ? It's not written anywhere, even in the faq. And that's just one of the many cases where you need to dig through bgg forum to hope to find an answer (none find for this original question though).

I am the only dev who was here the whole time. We started with another dev 2 years ago, then he abandonned 2 months later, then another tried to join and quitted right away, and a third one joined january 2021 and after several months we managed to go to alpha. Then he also kind of abandonned (after quite some work, thanks to him), even though he is still around, and i tried to fix the last big issues before going to beta and then release.
My last codev (kuwizard) is interested in bringing the expansion at some point but that probably means rewriting bunch of stuff on the base game itself to make it more robust, so no idea how long it will take. I personally have much more interesting (and "simpler") projects to work on right now, with less toxic communities, so it's not in my plan for the next year or so. Maybe i will come back to bang then if the game is still popular by then and still need a dev.

Return to “Bang”