Is there a way to slow down turn replays?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Dennis W

Is there a way to slow down turn replays?

Post by Dennis W »

Not sure if this is a BGA setting I can do somewhere or is specifically 4X coding, but is there a way I can slow down the turn replays to a speed that I can control and see what actually moved?
Lunalol

Re: Is there a way to slow down turn replays?

Post by Lunalol »

Yes, I have seen that. But no idea on how to fix it.
I just asked dev forum to have some help.
MarellDK

Post by MarellDK »

Is there any news on this?
For all practical purposes - the feature is not usable on this game (several turns zip by in a few seconds - not possible to see what happened).

This is, IMO, a rather serious bug (at least in Turn-based games).
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

MarellDK wrote: 01 September 2022, 11:39 This is, IMO, a rather serious bug (at least in Turn-based games).
Its not a game bug though, it is a function of how the site handles replay. Raise it with BGA but I suspect a solution is too complex and of too little benefit to get their time.
Dennis W

Post by Dennis W »

This is not an issue in any other games I play here - But this is the only 'wargame' with counters that I play - so limited scope opinion here...

Edit- Curious what those who play other wargames experience? Does the super fast replay hinder Memoir 44 or the big Theatre Wargame (forgot the name)?

The other games I play also flit by usually too fast to really follow along when using replay. I can sort of get an idea of who moved their worker etc where. And the Game Log has every single action. This is what I use 100% of the time in other games. But in Space 4X, I assume logging every ship move from Hex X to Hex Y to the Game Log would be tedious.

Seeing when Groups are combined/split is a very important part of the game. But of no use here.

I still applaud the work done! Found this game here and really enjoying it.
Lunalol

Post by Lunalol »

"How fast replay is" is a mystery of BGA framework for me.
So perhaps, some day, I will understand how it works and fix that.

In SE4X, I made the choice to minimize logs (no movement logs but detailed combat logs).
It can be a suggestion to change that. You can use bug/suggestion system to ask for an improvement.
I don't own the game, I don't have played it so much, so I don't know how logs can change game vision/strategy.
Nothing is closed, you are here to help me improving SE4X on BGA (no, don't ask for expansion :? )
MarellDK

Post by MarellDK »

Lunalol wrote: 01 September 2022, 19:48"How fast replay is" is a mystery of BGA framework for me.
Does BGA not offer support for game developers regarding how the framework works (including workarounds, when there are limitations)?
Lunalol wrote: 01 September 2022, 19:48 In SE4X, I made the choice to minimize logs (no movement logs but detailed combat logs).
It can be a suggestion to change that. You can use bug/suggestion system to ask for an improvement.
Not a bad idea.
Even if the replay feature is improved, then logging or other info in the UI might improve the gaming experience significantly.
This is not meant as criticism of your work. The current implementation is good, but there is room for improvement.

Thank you, for taking on the task of bringing this great game to BGA.
;)

I'll make a suggestion or two in the near future.

Return to “Space Empires: 4X”