Looking for a japanese name for a game

BGA localization discussions
ufoseeker

Looking for a japanese name for a game

Post by ufoseeker »

Hello everybody!
I'm Renaud, from France, and I'm currently working on a board game of my own. I'm now seeking an original and short name for it, and said to myself a japanese name could be cool. The game is about a manhunt (with pawns on a board), and (I don't know any japanese word :roll: ) I looked for japanese word and thought that sutoka or manhanto could work.

First question: does anyone speaking japanese could confirm that those names would be suitable for such a game?

Second question: maybe do you know a more suitable name?

Anyway, many thanks for your help ;)
GrumpyMonk22

Re: Looking for a japanese name for a game

Post by GrumpyMonk22 »

Not from Japan, but studied Japanese, and I think Manhanto would suit it well :)
ufoseeker

Post by ufoseeker »

Many thanks for your help, that's great ;)
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

ufoseeker wrote: 09 March 2022, 17:58 Second question: maybe do you know a more suitable name?
Manhanto sounds a lot like manhunt though.

I would go with Last Pawn Standing. 8-)
ufoseeker

Post by ufoseeker »

You are right, I also noticed a similarity between "manhunt" and "manhanto".
Thank you for your suggestion, but I'm looking for a name in Japanese, in order to be a bit original.
arisanana

Post by arisanana »

Very late, but as "manhanto" is literally just "manhunt" in kana, I think it just loses the appeal for both Japanese people and doesn't necessarily make sense to people who haven't the faintest idea of Japanese. In Japanese, reading "manhunt" looks cooler because it's in English, and unless you were planning to make written in katakana, it'd just look like someone didn't bother converting the romaji to kana. I also assume by "sutoka" you mean "suto-ka-" which means stalker. (Missing those - letters can greatly change a word's meaning) In any case, the whole English vs romaji deal still applies. "Manhunt" or "Stalk" as a title seem cool as is and would perhaps be appreciated in Japanese, at least.

If you must have a one-word Japanese title, something that might sound cool would be "hitogari" [人狩り - human hunt], but I'm not actually sure how much of a commonly acknowledged term that is since it overlaps with [一狩り - a (one) hunt]. But maybe that's a charm in itself? At least a starting point, perhaps.

You can also consider not precisely one-word titles in Japanese, perhaps?

Cannot guarantee anything since I'm not Japanese, but I do chat and play with a good number of Japanese people so hope that's background enough.

Return to “Translations”