Where did that CA go?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Dennis W

Where did that CA go?

Post by Dennis W »

Self-Taught at this game so I may be not understanding something.

Table #282755650

Turn 39 Red moves a CA into the Nebula directly East of Arrakis attacking a Green CA. In the Second Battle Round the Green CA retreats SE to where the Green Miner is.

Where did the Red CA go? Shouldn't it still be in the Battle Hex (Nebula) ?
Dennis W

Re: Where did that CA go?

Post by Dennis W »

Update - Red appar self-destructed that CA by choice. I was v confused lol.

That's one of those Log issues. In a Real game I'd see the player pick up the counters from the board.
Lunalol

Post by Lunalol »

It is why we need a suggestion whith bug/suggestion system to know what players exactly want in logs.
Dennis W

Post by Dennis W »

Yeah - This was interesting timing lol I was really really confused.

I've been thinking about what to suggest and I keep coming up against it sounding like a LOT of work.

Something like a Chess grid on the map - But in hexes. And a generic identifier for each un-flipped counter on the board.

I know I'm beating a dead horse - But figuring out how to slow the replays might actually be easier lol
MarellDK

Post by MarellDK »

Dennis W wrote: 07 September 2022, 14:42 Something like a Chess grid on the map...
There is. Click the little "alien face" at the bottom of the screen (you may need to scroll) - then you get Hex-IDs.
Dennis W wrote: 07 September 2022, 14:42 ...and a generic identifier for each un-flipped counter on the board.
That would actually give you more information than in a physical game. When I have three unrevealed fleets in a hex I am not telling my opponent which is which. He might know from previous turns what one of them contains, even though it is currently "hidden" or he may have other information, such as which turn one of the units was built and from which SY.
Dennis W

Post by Dennis W »

MarellDK wrote: 07 September 2022, 21:47
Dennis W wrote: 07 September 2022, 14:42 Something like a Chess grid on the map...
There is. Click the little "alien face" at the bottom of the screen (you may need to scroll) - then you get Hex-IDs.
Dennis W wrote: 07 September 2022, 14:42 ...and a generic identifier for each un-flipped counter on the board.
That would actually give you more information than in a physical game. When I have three unrevealed fleets in a hex I am not telling my opponent which is which. He might know from previous turns what one of them contains, even though it is currently "hidden" or he may have other information, such as which turn one of the units was built and from which SY.
Didn't know that about the Alien face ty!

I've never played a real game (just to show a local group a few turns) - Is it common to play 3 Card Monte with the counters when multiple are in the same hex before moving them? Do you cover the group of 3 counters with one hand so I can't see which one you are moving?

As long as players can have private secret talks among themselves - this is never going to be true to the table version. I've lost more games to secret Alliances than bad die rolls.
MarellDK

Post by MarellDK »

Dennis W wrote: 07 September 2022, 22:19 Do you cover the group of 3 counters with one hand so I can't see which one you are moving?
I certainly would.
To be fair, the rules do not specifically mention it (neither allow, nor forbid).
Having said that, I feel pretty certain the game designer intended the players to have as many secrets from each as possible, without ruining playability. Some of his posts on BGG support this.

Other examples:
I don't feel obligated to tell my opponent, when I...
  • ... add new ships/units to an existing group marker which is at a SY during economics phase
  • ... upgrade a unit at a SY
  • ... scuttle a unit. I might also scuttle a unit and buy a new one in the same location. Such as scuttling a Decoy and building a Base instead, or vice versa.
This game is all about "cloak and daggers".

Return to “Space Empires: 4X”