AFK button.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
gabe69velasquez

AFK button.

Post by gabe69velasquez »

I have had a several games of CATAN, and I don't know the variants, but that's another issue. What I experienced is a much longer game than it should have been. I know there are many interactions and it's difficult to cut down the time.

But I find myself with so much time between turns doing nothing, that I can have 5 things in the oven and go and check on them, and make myself drinks, etc.

So my suggestion is simply to add an AFK button, and I would expect that would reject all trade offers, and pass my turn after my roll, if I was not back in time to turn it off. :shock: :shock: :shock:
el cosimo

Re: AFK button.

Post by el cosimo »

gabe69velasquez wrote: 29 August 2022, 00:56 I have had a several games of CATAN, and I don't know the variants, but that's another issue. What I experienced is a much longer game than it should have been. I know there are many interactions and it's difficult to cut down the time.

But I find myself with so much time between turns doing nothing, that I can have 5 things in the oven and go and check on them, and make myself drinks, etc.

So my suggestion is simply to add an AFK button, and I would expect that would reject all trade offers, and pass my turn after my roll, if I was not back in time to turn it off. :shock: :shock: :shock:
You can reject trades with setting. Se under your name. Auto roll is present but not autopass. And the game isn’t slower then real life.. people always need to think what to do…
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

I would find it very very frustrating to play with someone who did that. If you aren't willing to pay attention for the whole game, don't play this game real time. Play turn based. Yes, it will take a week or two to finish a game, but you can start 5 or even 10 turn-based games, and then when you check your computer once or twice a day it'll probably be your turn at most of them so you can make a bunch of moves. But if you're going to play a real time game, be there for your turn. Do other things on the computer, but don't leave.

If an AFK button like you describe is actually added to the game, I would absolutely never play a real time game unless it an option turned off by default. Even then, I think people wouldn't notice if someone turned that option on when they joined someone else's table, and then they'd hate it when it was actually used. I think overall an option like this would damage the game significantly, and it should not be done.
SadPuffin

Post by SadPuffin »

I like this idea in theory but agree with the others that it's probably a bad idea. I agree with you that this game takes too long sometimes. I only recently learned you can speed up the animations, and that's made it much much MUCH better for me. But everyone else still takes forever to take a turn, probably because slow animations are the default. The default animation speed needs to be a little faster.

The turn timers also don't need to be so ridiculously long. I spend so much time watching a player sit there with one card in their hand, not hitting "pass". There's nothing you can do buddy, keep it moving. Or players with 5 cards in their hand spending forever trying to calculate how they can trade and build something. You don't need to build every hand, dude, just pass.
gabe69velasquez

Post by gabe69velasquez »

I was going to mention, it's also pretty ridiculous that I get trade offers when I have zero cards. :roll:
There's already a stop to using the robber to take cards from someone who doesn't have any, it should be similar:
In any case it's missing from the options or the auto settings.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

> I was going to mention, it's also pretty ridiculous that I get trade offers when I have zero cards.

People who have zero resource cards are automatically excluded from having to respond to a trade offer. If the game actually waited for you to respond to a trade offer when you had zero resources, you should screen shot that and file a bug; that's not supposed to happen and it hasn't happened in the games I've played.

Return to “Catan”