How should clue residue be handled

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Romain672

Re: How should clue residue be handled

Post by Romain672 »

I will give you now the hgroup approach of things. Bga's conventions are some things which try to be simple, and aren't optimised.

On hgroup, you have something called tempo clue, a tempo clue is when you reclue only saved cards. That look bad. You could be given it because:
1- it gets two or more clued cards to play
2- clued card is not a 5 and it is "out of order" (meaning that it is impossible for a Prompt to get the card played)
3- the clued card was Chop Moved and it is now playable
4- playing the clued card would "unlock" someone's hand
On this case, it's supposed valuable, that mean no extra meaning happen.

When it's not, the clue is considered bad, and you aren't allowed to give it by default.

The main thing it does, called 'tempo clue chop move', is that it chop move (=save the chop) the clued player. So his chop is saved.

I don't think I could talk more about this subject, I start too much to ignore any argument because I just practiced only one of two ways. But how that one way evolved make it really hard for the other one to compare, mainly because it hasn't evolved.
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

Edit: The post with a big quote and no additional content was an error I hadn’t even realised posted. Let’s edit that out of the way.
Last edited by Travis Hall on 11 September 2022, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

dgjxqz wrote: 10 September 2022, 05:05 Agree that it is good to save useful non-critical cards and playing cards early can make it hard to distinguish save clues from play clues.
Perhaps I play with the "wrong" players, but I find that some players over emphasize on save.
This is true at lower levels. I see lots of Experts cluing saves when they should be cluing plays. Most learn better by the time they reach master.

But you are failing to distinguish between preventing a card from being discarded by marking it in some way, and using a clue specifically to indicate that a card should not be discarded.

Play One style allows marking many cards with splash, incidental to cluing a play. This is very valuable, and does not have the same cost as specific save clues. This is the value that Play One presents over Play All, not save clues. (You need some form of save clues either way.)

Return to “Hanabi”