Solo player awarded Elo

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
steve5332

Solo player awarded Elo

Post by steve5332 »

A player playing solo managed to play not in training mode and received a huge Elo boost to get to number one in the Elo rankings. Clearly this should not have happened within the rules of the game. I've created a bug report and would be grateful for upvotes. Please could everyone playing solo be careful to ensure they are playing in training mode. Thanks!

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=46414
SquashEngineer

Re: Solo player awarded Elo

Post by SquashEngineer »

Seems the issue has been closed. Any way to eliminate these old irrelevant posts?
steve5332

Post by steve5332 »

You'll find thousands of posts within the forums that are no longer relevant. They just settle to the bottom of the list and get ignored, especially when they are over a year old like this post. They only really get viewed again if someone comments on them to get them back to the top of the list, which is why people generally don't add comments to very old posts that are no longer relevant...
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

I see what you did there ... point taken.

I am new to Railroad Ink - was browsing the forum for tips.
A one year old post didn't seem too irrelevant - I was interested in whether a solo mode existed.

Yes the Forums are loaded with stale items - I'll filter and move on.
steve5332

Post by steve5332 »

I was thinking, and it does seem like a fair point that older posts could (should?) be removed from the various forums. Probably best to raise it in the "Suggestions" or "Discussions" forums as a new post though. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who would like very old posts to be deleted. Useful information that should be retained should really be in wiki pages and the like, not transient posts within forums, so automatic deletion shouldn't be an issue.

As for tips. When I first started playing I tried to fill up lots of the central squares, and forked my roads and rails into the exits. After a while playing I learned to try to focus on getting one long road and one long rail, with the connectors plugging them into the exits. Even with no central spaces taken it would usually score in the 60s or even 70s. I then progressed to still having a long road and long rail, but have one of them "wiggle" through the central spaces. It seems to work well quite often. So in general create one long road, one long rail and try to leave them both flexible on the faces needed so that you can cope with most of the rolls thrown at you.

Also watching the replays of a few of the games of top players can be good for learning how they construct their board. Even the experts don't always get it right, but they do tend to cater for a wider range of rolls than their opponents. Have fun!

Return to “Railroad Ink”