Tournament rankings and Don't Be Last.

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
tchobello

Tournament rankings and Don't Be Last.

Post by tchobello »

Hello I have two questions about tournament rankings.

In 13 clues, there can be only one winner and in a tournament, 2 from 4 advance to the next round.
How is chosen 2nd player advancing as there is 1 winner and 3 losers ?

I was playing in a Don't Be Last tournament on Welcome To...
At one point, there was 11 players remaining.
There was a table with 6 players and the other 5 did not play.
On that table, the game ended with 5 players over time limit.
Only one player did qualify and I don' t know if the 5 remaining were eliminated because of time limit or because only one could join the 5 waiting.

Whatever, I think it should be more accurate to have a table of 6 and another table of 5 following the don't be last rule...
More over, in previous rounds, there were also players left aside, qualifying directly for next round...
Here also, it could be more accurate to organize tables of 5 and 6 players to make all players involved.
Silene

Re: Tournament rankings and Don't Be Last.

Post by Silene »

tchobello wrote: 21 September 2022, 12:24 Whatever, I think it should be more accurate to have a table of 6 and another table of 5 following the don't be last rule...
More over, in previous rounds, there were also players left aside, qualifying directly for next round...
Here also, it could be more accurate to organize tables of 5 and 6 players to make all players involved.
The name "don't be last" is a choice by the tournament organizer - the player who set up the tournaments. The BGA-tournament-system however just offers the system of "x advance" in multiplayer-elimination tournaments with x being a fixed number in all rounds / all tables. There is no "last one out"-system. For the behaviour that you are suggesting, there would have to be another tournament system, as the current one isn't designed for it to work this way.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 4 starting Sept.'22
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

Thanks for the explanation Silene.

I hope there is a feature to create pools of 5 or 6 to avoid 5 people going to next round directly.
Hardin2000

Post by Hardin2000 »

tchobello wrote: 21 September 2022, 12:24 Hello I have two questions about tournament rankings.

In 13 clues, there can be only one winner and in a tournament, 2 from 4 advance to the next round.
How is chosen 2nd player advancing as there is 1 winner and 3 losers ?

I was playing in a Don't Be Last tournament on Welcome To...
At one point, there was 11 players remaining.
There was a table with 6 players and the other 5 did not play.
On that table, the game ended with 5 players over time limit.
Only one player did qualify and I don' t know if the 5 remaining were eliminated because of time limit or because only one could join the 5 waiting.

Whatever, I think it should be more accurate to have a table of 6 and another table of 5 following the don't be last rule...
That only happens on last rounds. For the whole tournament, 5 will advance on every 6 player table and some lucky ones will pass and advance directly to next round. The problem is when the number of players that are stil in tournament (N) minus the nr. of players per game (P) < P. This menas when N - P < P, they will make a semi-final with P players and the remaining N-P go directly to the final. This means that only P - (N-P) will advance on semi-final.

In your example you had 11 players in games of 6 so N-P = 5 advance directly (without play) to the final and 6 - (11-6) = 1 will advance on semi-final.

This was what developers have done to avoid a chain of several semi-finals with only 1 game in don't be last tournaments.
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

Hardin2000 wrote: 26 September 2022, 00:36 That only happens on last rounds. For the whole tournament, 5 will advance on every 6 player table and some lucky ones will pass and advance directly to next round. The problem is when the number of players that are stil in tournament (N) minus the nr. of players per game (P) < P. This menas when N - P < P, they will make a semi-final with P players and the remaining N-P go directly to the final. This means that only P - (N-P) will advance on semi-final.

In your example you had 11 players in games of 6 so N-P = 5 advance directly (without play) to the final and 6 - (11-6) = 1 will advance on semi-final.

This was what developers have done to avoid a chain of several semi-finals with only 1 game in don't be last tournaments.
yes, that's a pity.
it should be more interesting to first combine tables of 6 and 5 to make everyone one involved.
the finishing part is so so too.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”