Read this before you go on this site as an experienced 'beginner'!

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
frogstar_A

Re: Read this before you go on this site as an experienced 'beginner'!

Post by frogstar_A »

arisanana wrote: 22 September 2022, 02:50 Can't Stop, a game basically 1000% luck-based. As such, it's obviously very possible to lose enough to drop back to 100 pts, the threshold between beginner and apprentice, when you can be pretty strong at the game.
Can't Stop, like most dice games, for sure has a large element of luck. But you massively overstate it. There are plenty of people with ELO over 300 or even 400 at this game. They are not just insanely lucky, they are good players.

If a player's Can't Stop ELO falls to ELO it's because they're not that good at the game.

Can't Stop skill is all about
- which columns do you open?
- when do you stop and when do you push on?

Plenty of people I play against make elementary errors in those areas. As, no doubt, do I - which is why my ELO is 188 and not 300.
arisanana

Post by arisanana »

frogstar_A wrote: 22 September 2022, 10:54 Can't Stop, like most dice games, for sure has a large element of luck. But you massively overstate it. There are plenty of people with ELO over 300 or even 400 at this game. They are not just insanely lucky, they are good players.
Yes, 1000% is obviously an exaggeration, and I'm not saying that the ELO is solely based on pure luck — The focus here isn't that Can't Stop isn't a good candidate for being a rated game, but that you don't see anyone with a Master rate of 700+ even now no matter how good a player is or how many games they've played, and same goes for King of Tokyo and plenty of other games with that element.
arisanana wrote: 22 September 2022, 02:50 Sure, actual skill and reading the flow of the game (and for some, luck in itself) can be considered factors that should affect defined skill to improve rating. But sometimes, no matter how good you can guess with your luck, it doesn't turn out that way.
If you'll put the context back in, you'll see I do agree skill in the form of strategizing how you progress in such games with a heavier luck element are factors in rated games, and that no matter how good you can strategize, like aim for all 6,7,8 and chop chop get the game done, or go for a stable 2 2 2,12 12 12, and something else, what the dice rolls is still luck at the end of the day (unless you can cheat the system but then you wouldn't be here) :)
applesong

Post by applesong »

I agree it is frustrating to see an ELO of "1" and then realize through playing that they are an expert player. Sometimes I think some people learn a bunch of games and then make a new account so they can raise their ELO quickly through beating players with higher ELOs. Probably the best way is to 1) decline games with beginners, or 2) just play competitively with everyone. If they are a true beginner they will have to learn the hard way, and you can still choose to help them in the chat.
Ehronde

Post by Ehronde »

applesong wrote: 05 October 2022, 15:52 Sometimes I think some people learn a bunch of games and then make a new account so they can raise their ELO quickly through beating players with higher ELOs.
This absolutely does not make any sense. The way how ELO works, you would quickly get to a similar ELO you had with your old account, but wouldn't have a significant better ELO. Sure, you would have a better winning rate, but that's all.

Return to “Discussions”