Automatic Yes to Abandon Games for Offline Players

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Commander Arthur

Automatic Yes to Abandon Games for Offline Players

Post by Commander Arthur »

Today I was playing Puerto Rico with 3 other players when suddenly one of them offline and about to run out of time. I was checking his reputation to see if this guy often do this. Much to my surprise, I saw an announcement "Our service is having an issue right now.
Note: all reputation penalties received for leaving games will be cancelled." When I returned to the game, I found out that I was the only one online. Feeling bad if I have to kick this player (even though no penalty will be given due to server issue), I choose to abandon the game collectively. But the other 2 cannot vote because they too are offline. There should be an automatic vote yes to abandone the game if they are offline. I think it is more polite than have to kick one of them.
thoun

Re: Automatic Yes to Abandon Games for Offline Players

Post by thoun »

It's almost existing : people out of time automatically accept abandon.
But there was a server issue a few minutes ago, that's probably hat caused your issue, and why penalties will be cancelled for your game (and all others in the same timing).
Silene

Post by Silene »

thoun wrote: 20 September 2022, 13:10 It's almost existing : people out of time automatically accept abandon.
The problem with this is: they only automatically accept abandon, when they were already out of time in the moment where the abandon-suggestion was made. They do NOT move over to accept, when they go over time while the abandon-suggestion is open. You would have to close the suggestion and make a new suggestion which they then accept automatically.

However it doesn't help on 3+ player games when both other are offline but only the active player is over time and the other is not (and will never be).

I think having offline players automatically accept abandon would be a nice addition without much abuse-potential.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

This is problematic for turn-based games. People are off-line more than they are on-line in those. It would be disheartening to have a vote cast while you were asleep.

This suggestion also seems to be to fix a problem that doesn't exist. It would allow abandoning a game so the person doesn't get a leave penalty -- which is already going to be removed.
Silene

Post by Silene »

Jest Phulin wrote: 23 September 2022, 02:43 This is problematic for turn-based games. People are off-line more than they are on-line in those. It would be disheartening to have a vote cast while you were asleep.

This suggestion also seems to be to fix a problem that doesn't exist. It would allow abandoning a game so the person doesn't get a leave penalty -- which is already going to be removed.
Lost elo for a game you didn't play or maybe played but were gonna win is perceived as penalty by some and is not getting removed. Depending on you ambition and current elo, that is harder to regain than some karma points.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Silene wrote: 23 September 2022, 10:04
I can see that side of the argument. I don't agree, but I can see it.

Return to “Suggestions”