Why do people mostly play with symmetric empires?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Lofski

Why do people mostly play with symmetric empires?

Post by Lofski »

Is there a consensus that some empires are much better than others or something? If yes, that could be solved by VP auctioning like in many other games on BGA. No need to stick to the boring default empires.

It seems to me that the asymmetric empires reward you for taking cards that would be just bad with the symmetric empire, while certain cards are extremely good for everyone with symmetric empires. If so, then the symmetric empires wouldn't necessarily lead to any less luck-based games. But yes, I'm a noob and currently quite terrible at this game. Even if I'm wrong, the issue would still be solved by introducing a VP auction.
sorryimlikethis

Re: Why do people mostly play with symmetric empires?

Post by sorryimlikethis »

The variable empires were designed for beginners to play to guide them through the game. All the empires are decently playable, you can make arguments that the yellow ones are slightly stronger. Financier and general empires will be better in 2P games and worse in 4P games. My biggest issue with them is that it locks you into a playstyle before you've seen any of the draft. Ignoring your empire card is going to put you at a significant disadvantage.

So you're locked into a green build and the opening round there is no green production and no green scoring cards. gg.
With symmetric you have options and can decide based on what you see in the hands.

The auction is interesting, but how much are you really going to bid on a card before seeing the first draft?
Lofski

Post by Lofski »

sorryimlikethis wrote: 24 September 2022, 13:31 The variable empires were designed for beginners to play to guide them through the game.
Ohhh ok, thanks for the info. I had just assumed that it's the other way around, like in lots of games with asymmetric player powers. I'll just try playing more with the symmetric ones then.

TL;DR version of the thread: basically just that I'm a noob.
Misteuraix

Post by Misteuraix »

The kickstarter physical game allowed a C and D options for empires and I hope see them implemented on BGA

The C option is an asymmetrical start but without bonus points and more versatility

The D option is a symmetrical start with no production but 5 red cubes
sorryimlikethis

Post by sorryimlikethis »

Misteuraix wrote: 25 September 2022, 09:00 The kickstarter physical game allowed a C and D options for empires and I hope see them implemented on BGA

The C option is an asymmetrical start but without bonus points and more versatility

The D option is a symmetrical start with no production but 5 red cubes
Side C is the 5 Krystallium start, which is pretty fun. I don't think I've ever tried it with only the base game, but it works well with the C&A expansion.
Side D is a little whacky. I think there are some serious balance issues with the empires. But more variety is fun.

D :
Panafrican Union: +1 white, +2 yellow
Oceania: +1 green, +1 yellow, +1 blue
Aztec: +2 white, +2 black
Europe: +3 white, +1 blue
Asia: +2 white, +2 green
Noram: +3 white, +1 yellow
North Hegemony: +3 black, +1 green
Misteuraix

Post by Misteuraix »

Yes I inverted C & D but result is somewhat the same

I just hope the will be implemented, mainly the 5 crystallium ones. I like the versatility it offers
hberger

Post by hberger »

yes, it is wierd.
I guess, many players don"t know A face (asymetrical) are for beginners.

Return to “It's a Wonderful World”