CONCEDING GAMES IN AZUL

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
GonzaloDLPG

CONCEDING GAMES IN AZUL

Post by GonzaloDLPG »

Hi, guys!!! What do you think about people conceding games in Azul?? These days there are a lot of players that concede the game at the end of it. For example, right now, there were only three different tiles to be taken and the other player conceded the game instead of finishing it. I don't like that attitude too much. Sometimes, I know I'm going to lose since the first round but I always finish the game. :S
euklid314

Re: CONCEDING GAMES IN AZUL

Post by euklid314 »

Perfectly ok in a 2 player game.
Not ok in any 3+ player game.
thoun

Post by thoun »

You can only concede in a 2-player games (else it's leaving the table, and it's not OK).

About conceding, it's a debate you will easily find in the forum, and it doesn't concern only Azul.
For me, if a game is already lost, no point to go further (like in chess, where conceding a victory is perfectly normal for players). But if there is only 1 or 2 moves left, I finish it because I won't waste more time than conceding. But if there is more moves before the end, conceding will make both players save time, and it means more games played, so I think it's OK :D
Sheba-leila

Post by Sheba-leila »

Ich muss 3 Minuten warten bei schneller Geschwindigkeit und das bei jedem Zug. Und ein andere bricht ab. Mich stört das und von mir kriegt ein jeder der aufgibt einen roten Daumen. Es ist unhöflich. Ich weiss nicht wollen die Leute spielen oder sind sie auf der Flucht.
Veggie Ninja

Post by Veggie Ninja »

For me, conceding a game is Just As Bad as quitting a game early! Maybe even worse, because usually when someone quits early they've lost internet connection or something unavoidable happened. I primarily play two person games because it's easier to find people to play, but I enjoy playing the games I choose, I don't care about rankings. However, when someone concedes without letting the game finish, I find it extraordinarily rude, and a sign that they only care about winning not respecting the game and the other player. I wish they would get the same penalty for conceding as they do for quitting or running out of time and being ejected from a game.
Lofski

Post by Lofski »

Veggie Ninja wrote: 22 September 2022, 15:39 For me, conceding a game is Just As Bad as quitting a game early! Maybe even worse, because usually when someone quits early they've lost internet connection or something unavoidable happened. I primarily play two person games because it's easier to find people to play, but I enjoy playing the games I choose, I don't care about rankings. However, when someone concedes without letting the game finish, I find it extraordinarily rude, and a sign that they only care about winning not respecting the game and the other player. I wish they would get the same penalty for conceding as they do for quitting or running out of time and being ejected from a game.
Why can't you enjoy the fact that you've played the early game so well that the opponent has no chance to win anymore? Do you just enjoy crushing your opponents slowly and completely? If you are the one playing a losing game, do you find it fun to have to do completely pointless turns for say, 10 minutes, just for someone to get to enjoyment out of beating you with humiliating numbers? Most people understand it's not fun, and therefore accept conceding in 2p. And conceding doesn't mean you care only about winning - basically all board games are designed so that the fun comes from trying to win. If you 100% sure know you can't win a 2p game of Azul, what are you continuing for, just a few VPs?
Veggie Ninja

Post by Veggie Ninja »

Lofski wrote: 23 September 2022, 21:23
Veggie Ninja wrote: 22 September 2022, 15:39 For me, conceding a game is Just As Bad as quitting a game early! Maybe even worse, because usually when someone quits early they've lost internet connection or something unavoidable happened. I primarily play two person games because it's easier to find people to play, but I enjoy playing the games I choose, I don't care about rankings. However, when someone concedes without letting the game finish, I find it extraordinarily rude, and a sign that they only care about winning not respecting the game and the other player. I wish they would get the same penalty for conceding as they do for quitting or running out of time and being ejected from a game.
Why can't you enjoy the fact that you've played the early game so well that the opponent has no chance to win anymore? Do you just enjoy crushing your opponents slowly and completely? If you are the one playing a losing game, do you find it fun to have to do completely pointless turns for say, 10 minutes, just for someone to get to enjoyment out of beating you with humiliating numbers? Most people understand it's not fun, and therefore accept conceding in 2p. And conceding doesn't mean you care only about winning - basically all board games are designed so that the fun comes from trying to win. If you 100% sure know you can't win a 2p game of Azul, what are you continuing for, just a few VPs?
For one thing, half the time people have conceded games against me the score is tied or almost equal, so there isn't actually a clear winner. I enjoy playing my best game, regardless of whether I'm winning or losing, and even if I am getting demolished I have fun seeing my opponent's strategy play out. Maybe I'll learn something from them :-)
Cheery Dog

Post by Cheery Dog »

Wasn't in Azul, but the last game someone conceded against me, they were out of actual useable turns (Off The rails, both their carts hadn't gone into the chasm), I was not convinced that me having one cart was enough to get me the win, so I was going to collect one more ruby because every point might help (and those could get up to 5 extra) I think looking at the end result, they still had that ruby bonus and would have won, so I always take my turns when there's always a chance of luck effecting the game.

Actually Azul is an open information game, yea I'd concede that in the last few turns and the winner is known. That's literally why the concede button exists.
GisolationstationG

Post by GisolationstationG »

There's a concede button!? I still haven't figured out how to do it. I once had someone ask if would concede bc it was obvious, but when I didn't they were in good humour and said, as you wish, and we continued. I would have been happy to concede (in Duel it can feel laborious to finish when it's so obvious....but in Azul I'd rather finish) but I was too shy in the moment to ask how! So can the winner also concede for you?
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

@GisolationstationG :

That is one of the options in the ​ 3 horizontal lines ​ button at the upper-right of the game page.

Return to “Discussions”