KING OF TOKYO- Power UP: More kings, more Tokyo, more DESTRUCTION!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
voriki

Re: KING OF TOKYO- Power UP: More kings, more Tokyo, more DESTRUCTION!

Post by voriki »

I love King of Tokyo just because of the expansions, as all the different effects countering or strengthening each other always provide a different gameplay.

Now I do agree that King of Tokyo doesn't need yet another hundred expansions anymore, unless truly unique mechanics can be found. And in the meantime if we want a different gameplay we can pull out our New York or Monster Island(upcoming) gameboards around the family table. Alas no digital version forthcoming at the moment.
Darshan_P

Post by Darshan_P »

I have been a fan of all expansions till now (except Mutant Evolution). However, Power up brings in too many variables at once. Even as a pro, I struggle to keep up with some of the nonsense elements of this expansion. It's quite broken for some of the monsters. It would have been better to give each monster only 1 ability (like what we see in gods in Santorini).
thoun

Post by thoun »

For me, King of Tokyo can be played as a competitive game (where you want it to be balanced), but it is not its main goal. I think most players plays it just for fun.

In my opinion, Power-Up!, like the curse cards, makes it a more fun but less competition-oriented game. I don't see these options coming in Arena where competitive side is searched.

With the amount of expansion available, I hope everyone can find what he is looking for (just select the ones that fits you!).
voriki

Post by voriki »

Darshan_P wrote: 07 September 2022, 11:02 It would have been better to give each monster only 1 ability (like what we see in gods in Santorini).
Don't know how it goes in Santorini, but maybe you'll enjoy the upcoming King of Monster Island.
Ofcourse the gameplay is vastly different as this is a co-op game, but seemingly instead of Power Up, there will be Ally sheets, giving you a fixed set of abilities based on current score.

The game is still a month away from release, so not all details are out there yet. On BGG a lot of information can already be found, including the rulebook.
Adwak1

Post by Adwak1 »

I LOVE King of Tokyo. It is one of the most played games at our game nights, even now. And I know i drive my wife crazy on the weekends with asking her to play it over and over. I have all the versions and expansions and have played with them all in multiple player counts. I love the cultists and Power-ups, but.... when you start adding multiple expansions in the same game it can get confusing and definitely can become out of balance. I played a game on BGA that had cultists, power-ups, and the Halloween expansion included. I ended up getting a good draw on the cards and had some very LUCKY rolls from the start. I ended up with all the costumes and 2 or 3 permanent power-ups on the board very quickly. I am a chatty player and so was my opponent. We talked through out the game and even though she was very familiar with KoT, she was confused and definitely didn't enjoy that game. Nothing is worse than losing a game quickly and yet you don't know why. Some of the expansions work better alone and some of them do work well combined.
Skiznit

Post by Skiznit »

2 player game gets boring real quick. 95% of the games are knock outs on health. It's almost impossible to get to 20pts (except by some ridiculous power card). Staying in Tokyo is pointless. *yawn*

Return to “Official announcements [en]”