Can we please penalize players who queue up for games and don't join?

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
FSKFSK

Re: Can we please penalize players who queue up for games and don't join?

Post by FSKFSK »

If you don't like the time limit or can't play for 90 minutes in a row, you should play turn-based games.

You can get karma back by playing a bunch of quick games for 1 point each. Lucky Numbers and Artichokes are fast games. Karma penalties also expire after 90 days.
Shivaware

Post by Shivaware »

FSKFSK wrote: 29 September 2022, 19:54 Karma penalties also expire after 90 days.
This does not appear to be the case. See this other thread: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26872 (although it doesn't have much more information)
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

Relying on a chime for arena start is not sufficient. Not everyone plays with sound on, some don't have a choice for to their environment or disabilities.

I have missed games where I've been sat at my computer and there has been no notification. I've also had times where clicking cancel on the arena game search apparently didn't actually cancel it and I log in later to find it started an arena game in my absence when I wasnt even on the site anymore.

If bga don't want to add code to check for recent activity they could simply block kicking and force abort before both players have joined and taken a move. To prevent this being exploited as a means of selecting opponents too many launch aborts against you= loss of points, then demotion, then expulsion from the arena rankings. Or they could just add the anonymised accept screen as I suggested previously which would be even simpler to add given it's a crib from the standard game variant
Respublik

Post by Respublik »

Dr L3cter wrote: 28 September 2022, 16:24
MrBeardy wrote: 21 September 2022, 01:08 Standard mode does have an accept screen already. Are you playing Arena mode? I've had the same problem with Arena. Wait ages for it to find enough players, only to get no warning the game has started. I don't know why it can't have the confirm screen of standard mode. I get they might not want people to be able to duck certain opponents when it's arena and so a ranking thing but to say "we have enough people to play now (names anonymised) are you ready to start?" would be reasonable. Speaking of reasonable, decent players abort if there's been absolutely no action/gameplay but i think a lot of us have had people kick us instead so they can get the easy Arena ranking points. :roll:
THIS. I'm glad i'm not the only one. And yes, i'm referring to the same functionality that standard mode has.

I'm also 100% sure it's people who want free points... seems like an abusive system.

Happy to buy the devs a beer once they add an accept button to Arena!
This topic seems to be hijacked, but there is an old report suggestion for excatly the thing being discussed that likely still needs support.
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=14271

Also had this happen to me with an offline device, which was super annoying:
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=69936
shinuito

Post by shinuito »

I'm not sure penalising people for forgetting about being in a queue, which in most of the two player games I've played is an incredibly long wait, will accomplish anything.

Maybe at best it'll lower their Karma and then maybe you'll have even less people to play against if you restrict with karma, making wait times longer.

Honestly a better wait time estimation should be in place in the first place.

Why have the play page tell me the wait is ~ 1 min when you're most likely going to be queueing for 10 or more minutes? Does it average or take the latest wait times for both live and turn based games together, so if one person got a turn based game quickly then it makes it look as though you might get a live one quickly too?

I mean telling the player that their wait time might be only one minute might get them to queue up, but when that isn't the average case they're more likely to forget about the fact they're queuing. I mean you can't leave the live page while queuing - you have to open another tab. If you check on your turn based games, you don't really get any clear indication that someone is joining your table - at least not in the way you get dragged into that lobby pre-game screen, again forced to stare at it and do nothing else.

I feel like there's so many issues with queueing that should be resolved rather than punishing people for queuing :)
Kaugan

Post by Kaugan »

As with the topic, I also don't like when people decide not to accept starting of a game but however I also realised, that I do this myself aswell. Not simply because I wouldn't want to play the game, but how the game actually starts the way I was not prepared to play it, as I joined the game with the settings which I wanted.

Here is one of my personal reason, not to accept the game start
-I wanted to play a game of 4, because I like it that way for better gameplay, however the game started with more or less players for different reasons, for which sometimes includes player leaving a split second before the game starts or, when host decides to start the game with fewer players, or the host adds more joining spots.

In many games, the rules of the gameplay changes depending on the number of players. Sometimes even though a game allows it to be played with 2 players or 12 players, it's not always the optimal number for me. When I join a game with 4 players wanted, I'm looking forward to play it with 4 players. Personally because with 3 players feels less strategic and the rules might change and 5 players would be too much for me, because it makes the game less predictable and increases the play time, and with more people means there is an increased change of someone timing out and might get kicked off the game, which is very frustrating on a long game.

I use manual joining most of the time but it still happens, that a game gets started with fewer or more players than I personally wanted to play it and it is a reason for a lot of players to hit the disagree button instead of agreeing to play the game.

Return to “Suggestions”