Red thumbs should not affect Arena matchmaking

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Koobz

Red thumbs should not affect Arena matchmaking

Post by Koobz »

Others have mentioned this issue before, but since nothing has been done I thought it deserved its own thread. In several of the games I'm familiar with, certain highly ranked player(s) abuse the red thumb feature to avoid other top player(s) and thus indirectly "select" their opposition in Arena. This is problematic in at least two respects:

1) it creates an unfair playing field that goes against the spirit of Arena as BGA's premier competitive venue;
2) more frustratingly, it means that for premium games, it becomes virtually impossible for non-premium members to play while the red thumb abuser is online, especially for multiplayer games with lower traffic where there are just a handful of players searching for an Arena game at any given time. Even more frustrating than fighting on an uneven playing field is being denied from playing at all, but the reality of red thumb abuse means that days can sometimes go by without being able to match up to an Arena game.

I recognize that red thumbs perform an important site function, in allowing players to block opponents who are rude or unpleasant in the chat, etc., but a simple workaround, as others have suggested, is just to disable the chat feature in games with a red-thumbed player. You can still red-thumb players as you please, and red-thumbing can function as normal in simple games, but it should not affect matchmaking in Arena.

I've been an Arena champion for the past three seasons, and each season certain dishonest player(s) increasingly embrace new ways to cheat in an effort to win: abusing red thumbs, creating multiple Arena accounts to try and beat rivals without risking their main account, befriending lots of weaker players and playing Arena primarily with them, etc. Some of these practices exist in a gray area that is difficult to govern, but red thumb abuse in Arena has a fairly straightforward fix.

The onus shouldn't be on honest players to navigate the antics of dishonest players on the site; rather, it should be BGA's responsibility to maintain an equitable and enjoyable playing environment. I hope the moderators can take more action in this regard. I'll be leaving BGA's competitive scene, and possibly the site altogether, until such abuses are taken more seriously.
Serge_Br

Re: Red thumbs should not affect Arena matchmaking

Post by Serge_Br »

Absolutely agree.
This is a bug.
Arena mode should equal everyone not depending of their preferences. Only in this case Arena will be fair.

And at all admins have to reconsider ban politics. We have competitive games. Nobody must absolutely like his opponent. It's not mandatory to be pleasurable for everyone.

Player can ban chat if he don't like opponent, but not a game possibility.
In many game we have no plenty of players online. If we put player's ban on this, game could even extinct.

So player's red thumbs aren't good for game community I suppose.
It's not sportive at all.
Can you imagine if Olympic sportsmen ban each other to compete? Because they don't like how somebody behave.

There are rules it's enough, game ban is redundant. Especially in Arena mode - ridiculous.
Jerry_Kacmar

Post by Jerry_Kacmar »

Agree completely.

In less popular games where the elite group is smaller you can easily block all the elite players thus playing only with not so good players, easily advancing in the Arena.

This is clealry happening in one of the games I'm in Elite.
One of the players who I played only twice without any issues has blocked me and at least one other Elite player I know.
From his game log it's clear he's playing only non-elite players to advance (slowly but steadily) in the Arena.

So I suggest to turn off player blocking/redthumbing in Arena mode.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

That's some exploit thanks for the tip. I'm off to redthumb away...

Just kidding. It's tricky as while I hear what you're saying and it makes a lot of sense i got stuck in a string of games with one particular player who was constantly timing out. I aborted the first three times. The fourth time i kicked him and gave a red thumb. Nothing to do with his skill or not, everything to do with failing to respond and play the game. Getting stuck with him several times in a row was so tedious.

I also disagree with auto disabling chat. It's the only way to say "brb, the doorbell just went" etc and would lead to more kicking and timer impatience.

Hence, some tweaks to the suggestion:
1)ability to temporarily block a player if you have had two games with them in the last 24 hours but no perma ban ability to prevent arena games completely
2) anonymised game launches with an accept button to stop you getting into games with an AWOL player who won't respond but so you can't pick and choose your opponent
3) option to disable chat during play but not auto applied

That said I can think of one particular player I absolutely detest and would be reluctant to ever play ever again. Just horrible. There is a need for a perma ban ability. Maybe capped in quota so people can't exploit?
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

MrBeardy wrote: 01 October 2022, 18:05That said I can think of one particular player I absolutely detest and would be reluctant to ever play ever again. Just horrible.
And this is why we can't have nice things. I 100% agree that some people red thumb strategically to avoid strong competition (which defeats the spirit of Arena, of course), but there are these edge cases of truly horrible people where even playing them with chat muted is unacceptable. I personally have a thicker skin than that, but I can understand why BGA allows the red thumb to apply to Arena, which then allows the exploit.

My solution is a round robin tournament of the Top N players to decide the final Arena standings at the end of the season. Everything up to that is the regular season. The round robin tournament is the playoffs. No cowardly dodging of other high ranked players allowed. But I know that will never, ever happen. :lol:
Jerry_Kacmar

Post by Jerry_Kacmar »

I understand your views, but honestly, at least in turn-based games (which I play 100% time and at least for the game I mentioned almost everybody plays in turn-based) timing out is not such a big problem since you're waiting for turns anyway up to 2 days.

So allowing arena matchmaking of redthumbed players in a turn based mode and blocking a chat so that person can't harass you in any way would solve the problem.
Jerry_Kacmar

Post by Jerry_Kacmar »

You can upvote my suggestion (allow inturn-based arena mode but block the chat) here:
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=73037

Thanks

Return to “Suggestions”