Please add a feature to disable chat on a per game basis

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
MacaroniDuck

Please add a feature to disable chat on a per game basis

Post by MacaroniDuck »

I play on BGA with many different friends. We use discord to communicate. We don't need the chat function. We try to minimize it, but those who are using push to talk constantly "unminimize it" and fill it with the push to talk key. I have to imagine there are many others that play/communicate in this way. It's a fairly minor inconvenience (more so with games that take up a lot of real estate), but I have to imagine it would be appreciated by many. (Please tell me this has already been implemented and I'm missing it :)
Belsembar

Re: Please add a feature to disable chat on a per game basis

Post by Belsembar »

This seems like a no-brainer option. In today's age, I would almost expect to need to opt-IN to a text-only chat.
cigma

Post by cigma »

MacaroniDuck wrote: 02 October 2022, 01:47 We don't need the chat function. We try to minimize it, but those who are using push to talk constantly "unminimize it" and fill it with the push to talk key.
...I have to imagine it would be appreciated by many.
This sounds like a bug to me. If this affects many people (as you assume) there probably is a bug report on this:
https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
If not, why don't you create one?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
MacaroniDuck

Post by MacaroniDuck »

cigma wrote: 02 October 2022, 10:08
This sounds like a bug to me. If this affects many people (as you assume) there probably is a bug report on this:

I don't expect this is a bug so much as a "working as intended 'feature'". Like many game systems, when you have a game loaded and you start to type, it assumes you are typing into chat (since there's not reason to type in the "game" itself. I expect this was intended as a "quality of life" feature so that people don't have to click on the Chat window every time they want to type something back and forth.

Unfortunately, it has the opposite effect in the push to talk situation. I'm curious if there is a push to talk key that wouldn't trigger the chat, but haven't had time to investigate all the possibilities.
MacaroniDuck

Post by MacaroniDuck »

When I posted the previous post, I didn't realize there was a "suggestion" option here on the forums AND in the bug reporting. Bit redundant, but I posted it there as well. Thank you.

Return to “Suggestions”