Card Ranchers

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Wreckage

Card Ranchers

Post by Wreckage »

Card Ranchers is a group that plays 6 Nimmt. https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=11498855 We play 5-player/Tactics/Pro. We play 2 real-time games each Sunday. This season we drafted teams, and we just started. We are often needing subs with about 300+ ELO. Please message me if you would like to be added to our sub list, or are interested in being a regular player in the next season (start date undetermined).

I’d like to thank the captains for volunteering. A special thank you to Lucy Grey for setting up a google sheet, and helping the draft go VERY smoothly. Also, to Lily23, for helping recruit the 30th player. Very helpful.

These charts have been edited since originally posted.
Each game players score:
5 points for first
4 points for second
3 points for third
2 points for fourth
1 point for fifth
Substitute's scores were adjusted:
-1 if they were lined up before game time
-2 if the table had to be opened to random players to fill the spot.

Cheval_Raye managed a win at possibly the toughest table, getting first in both games, but one was a tie, giving him 9.5 for the day. Notice how close the scores are at the brown table, with no weak players in the mix. Tigress edged out a victory, and with teammate Ludentotten’s win on the blue table, it makes Western Vegetarians the only team with two champions this week. The green table was another powerhouse table, congrats to Tony on that victory. Wreckage scored the only perfect 10 points, coming from behind until the very last turn. And Teci, a champion from last season, secured a victory for the Broncos on the yellow table. Sushi Corissa’s 8 points is also noteworthy, being among the top 6 scores of 6 tables.

Only 2 spots out of 30 needed to be filled by opening the tables to outside players. The team penalties for this might be a little harsh. Let’s see what we think after this season ends.

The Wranglers are in the lead, mostly because nobody on their team scored less than 5 points. The team scores are so close that a victory or defeat from any player can change the team standings.

The tables for next week are posted on the group page https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=11498855. Going forward, players will be assigned to tables according to their accumulated scores for all previous weeks.

Thank you all for joining in the fun.
~Wreckage
Last edited by Wreckage on 07 October 2022, 21:07, edited 7 times in total.
Lily23

Re: Card Ranchers

Post by Lily23 »

As always Wreckage, thank you for organizing & for all your hard work
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exciting start for this season, put me in a Good MOOd :D
Sushi Corissa

Post by Sushi Corissa »

Very nice write up of the week. Thank you for putting it together!
Momma_Bear

Post by Momma_Bear »

Awesome start! Everyone is close so a great way to start the season! MOOoooo!
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

Here are the table assignments for October 9th. This is the same as what is already posted on the group page, but this page allows me to post a chart, so it's a little clearer.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

Mahpa, Seipora, and Simosan, all won at their tables, and gained 8 points each. Since all three of them are Wranglers, this was a huge team boost. With 7 points each by the other two teammates, the Wranglers had an outstanding day. However, right on their heels, gaining only 1 point less for the day is the Good MOOds. How is that even possible? Well, they also won at 3 tables (Momma_Bear tied with Simosan) and Waterlily Blooms scored 10 points, making her this week’s real champion.

The same teams did well again this week, and so the gap between the team’s scores has grown. Individually however, the tables were a little more even with only 3 players gaining more than 8 points. Spur gained 9 points, which would put him in 3rd overall, and a seat at the red table, except his teammate, Ludentotten, is already there holding the top spot. 3p1cFre3nzy won 9 points on the red table, however with a penalty subtracted for being a substitute, it only counts as 8. Well done though, 3p1cFr3nzy.

Let me just explain what I’m doing with the table assignments. First, I’m making a list of the players from 1-30, in order, by the points they’ve gained. If players are tied with points, then the one who did better on the most recent week is ranked higher. Then one by one, I add their name to the highest available spot on the highest table, unless they already have a teammate there, in which case their name goes to the next table. This is why the tables are a little bit jumbled when looking at the player’s scores.

Also something to be aware of, the player’s scores don’t really indicate which players are doing the best, because a few people have only played 1 week. For instance Tony and Waterlily have only played 1 week each, scoring 9 and 10 points respectively. So they have have the highest averages so far :) .
Tigress-Altaica

Post by Tigress-Altaica »

Just had a thought--for future weeks, we could consider placing people at tables based on their average score rather than their total score. That way, if a strong player is out for multiple weeks, they won't end up dominating the lower tables when they come back due to their lower total number of points.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Tigress-Altaica wrote: 16 October 2022, 19:42 Just had a thought--for future weeks, we could consider placing people at tables based on their average score rather than their total score. That way, if a strong player is out for multiple weeks, they won't end up dominating the lower tables when they come back due to their lower total number of points.
A good combinaison with that proposition is to not count the X worst game of each player. Like if there is 20 games, not count the worst 4.
This can have negative effects on some games since it reward taking a risk, but it has advantages to make someone which is missing like two weeks to not be as much impacted by the missing games.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

@Tigress, I think you make a good point. However, this will be such a short contest that I am not going to change it now. If it were longer I think your suggestion would be better for sure.

I told people from the start that this would only be 4 weeks. The main reason for this, is once a team gets behind it's wont be as much fun for them, and we don't have any catch-up mechanism. So ending it and starting something new is better.

@Romain, your right, and we have had better ladder mechanisms in the past, with a couple other groups. We have had 6 leagues, each 20 week long, where your best 3 scores of the last 4 weeks counted. All scores 5 weeks ago or older are no longer part of your score. This worked very well, making the leaders rotate, and anyone could get to the top if they had several good weeks in a row.

What we are doing now is different, trying to make it a team competition more than an individual competition. This time we drafted teams, which I think is fun. But after the first few weeks the scores are too far apart to keep it as fun.

I have a few ideas to make things interesting, but I am open to suggestions too.
Last edited by Wreckage on 18 October 2022, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”