Blocking in 2p

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Romain672

Re: Blocking in 2p

Post by Romain672 »

Just edited. (it was neither of those, I've got my idea of list of explaining the differents positions of my cursor of sportmanshift, but the description of the list was wrong with it :D Just removed the first point)(and i was using block for two differents meaning. Just removed one of those)

The thing is, I consider blocking as 2p can be considered not sportmanshift depending of the context.
And bga don't meet that context.
But that's the point I'm trying to make.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

Romain672 wrote: 01 October 2022, 03:35
bananasplay wrote: 01 October 2022, 01:39My theory so far is that this sort of whining comes either from a place of emotional weakness (i.e., such players can't handle losing or even merely being disadvantaged, as is typical of very young children) or from a more sinister motivation: since the whiners obviously can't prevent legal moves, perhaps they attempt psychological manipulation in order to preempt such moves in the future.
No, you can think of it of some gentleman's rules.

There is lots of examples, but I will take one I can explain well.

<Snip from a very long post>

But in most cases, it's more clear: the normal behaviour on this site is to block the other player. So go ahead :)
I'm not sure what your examples are intended to show regarding Azul but thanks for joining in. Banana's post seems about right to me
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

MrBeardy wrote: 02 October 2022, 19:37I'm not sure what your examples are intended to show regarding Azul but thanks for joining in. Banana's post seems about right to me
I was in fact disagreeing with him.
For me it can be considered as a gentleman's rule to not block.

I really think the first part is totally wrong even. I don't think player whine because they are losing. If that was true, they should whine too for others reasons like I don't know thinking too much per example?
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

Have you played azul?
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

A little, both online and IRL.

I agree that putting the limit of playing for yourself or the opponent can be really hard to define.
But banana's post seemed more general. And I played lots of games where you can block or not the other player.
wortsenawl

Post by wortsenawl »

Thanks all for your responses. What I tend to tell people who complain (either “you’re a dirty player” when I win, or “try scoring points instead of trying to stop me” if I lose) is

“Thanks for your input. You play your game and I’ll play mine. Let’s just leave it at that.”

I’ll continue to block. When I play the top players they deffo know when a tactical block is required. And it always hurts.
Reggycide

Post by Reggycide »

There is never anything 'dirty' about making a move that is legal. If the in-person game or computer mod allows it then go for it. Dirty gaming or poor etiquette is something like splashing the pot in poker or peaking at someone's cards. Take a game like Calico, where the tile you've been hanging for has finally comes up and someone else takes it. Yep, frustrating as hell but totally legal.

I taught this game at PAX Melbourne this week to many people. It's amazing how many 'experienced' Azul player don't know the basic rules. For example, taking every tile from the middle regardless of type, not allowing rows of the same type, scoring entire arrays of tiles and others that boggled the mind.

Leaving bad tyles for an opponent is an integral part of playing a good game, not a dirty one. You might not want to do that to your 7 year old niece but in all other cases I want my opponent to try to beat me.

My advice is don't let it get to you and play well. Always report abusers and ignore or politely educate ignorant people.
Shaggy4343

Post by Shaggy4343 »

Hatedrafting is legal. Strategically blocking in the last round in order to gain Advantage is also legal.

Some percentage of the time, hatedrafting actually gives advantage. When I teach my daughters to play games, I teach them better sportsmanship than that, and teach them to understand the difference.

When somebody hatedrafts so obviously that they have left points on the table in order to screw with me, I chuckle at them in chat, and then win the game, normally, because there is a difference between a strategic play, and somebody who grew up just denying their younger siblings because they could.

One needs to understand the difference, and deal with each scenario as they happen.
Silene

Post by Silene »

Shaggy4343 wrote: 16 October 2022, 02:47 Some percentage of the time, hatedrafting actually gives advantage. When I teach my daughters to play games, I teach them better sportsmanship than that, and teach them to understand the difference.
Obviously not every strategic approach is appropriate to be taught at any age. But when grown-up, and you are fully aware that action within the game only concern the game and does not reflect positions towards the other people on the table - then every strategy, that increases your chances to win the game, is a good one ;)
The value of playing moves just to hurt others is very different in 2p vs. 3p+ games. A good player plays less agressive in 4p games than in 2p games.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Zero_Sum

Post by Zero_Sum »

I learned Azul in person with 3-4 players (where most of us were new and did not know advanced strategy). When I first played here with 2 I found a lot more calculating of last move, forcing opponents to take big stacks, taking stacks not because you need them but to block the other player. Perfectible valid way to play but it was a learning curve from the in person games where we did not do that. When I switch to mostly 3/4 players I found a lot of that went away.

In Azul and in other games, players who are often friends have a quid-pro-quo of "I won't be mean to you if you won't be mean to me". That is a different but equally valid meta. I won't block them - not because I am being nice, but because then they will not block me. If you are used to that meta and you come here then you will find a culture shock as people here play more cut throat. Different meta, equally valid.

So - don't feel bad about blocking. It is up to you if and how you respond, but they more that they play in BGA the more they will learn that this is how most players in BGA are.

Somewhat related is an interesting thing I discovered about myself. I normally play on a computer where I can see every board. I occasionally play on my phone, where I can only see my board unless I scroll around. When I play on my phone I play much more "my game" where I only am concerned with my points and when I play on a computer I see (and play) the impacts to all other players much more.

Return to “Azul”