Furtherance - Looking for Development Help

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
ZZBrent

Furtherance - Looking for Development Help

Post by ZZBrent »

Hello,

My name is Brent Keath, I run a small publishing company called Flannel Games. We published a game called Furtherance and are looking to implement the game on Board Game Arena.

I am developer, but my background is in .NET web development and C#. I started building the game out in Unity a few years ago and was able to get the game developed, but it only worked in hot seat mode, I could never get online multiplayer working. So I thought BoardGameArena would be the perfect way to rebuild the game and offer it for online multiplayer.

So, I am looking for another developer(s) to assist (or rather, mentor) me through the process of converting the game from the C# Unity build to a PHP BoardGameArena build.

You can find details about the game here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/260387/furtherance

You can find the code for the original Unity game here:
https://github.com/ZZBrent/Furtherance

In the meantime I will start building what I can of the base game, but any assistance from any developers who have already built games on BGA would be appreciated as I start through the process.
MaysamTorabi

Re: Furtherance - Looking for Development Help

Post by MaysamTorabi »

Hi Brent

Are you looking for paid help or free consultation?

I have expertise in both php and C# so I can understand your code and also code in BGA environment

Regards

Maysam
Andy_K

Post by Andy_K »

Having developed in both Unity with C# and BGA with PHP, I'm afraid to say this is likely to be harder than you'd expect. Unless your game has been completely designed from the ground up to be multiplayer in Unity, it's likely there will be little compatibility in the frameworks/code beyond perhaps any black box algorithms you might've developed. It would probably be just as fast to start in BGA from scratch, although having written the game once already will no doubt give you a better insight into the data structures required.
ZZBrent

Post by ZZBrent »

Thank you for the replies.
MaysamTorabi wrote: 10 October 2022, 06:56 Hi Brent

Are you looking for paid help or free consultation?

I have expertise in both php and C# so I can understand your code and also code in BGA environment

Regards

Maysam
I am currently looking for free consultation if possible. The goal is merely to increase access to the game itself for those who were/are not able to acquire a copy.
Andy_K wrote: 10 October 2022, 16:16 Having developed in both Unity with C# and BGA with PHP, I'm afraid to say this is likely to be harder than you'd expect. Unless your game has been completely designed from the ground up to be multiplayer in Unity, it's likely there will be little compatibility in the frameworks/code beyond perhaps any black box algorithms you might've developed. It would probably be just as fast to start in BGA from scratch, although having written the game once already will no doubt give you a better insight into the data structures required.
I have rarely developed in PHP before (just a few Wordpress sites in college), but started building it using the BGA platform and I agree; the engines are completely different, but I am finding BGA much better for building the tabletop game than Unity was, and it seems the process is going much faster. I do believe the biggest benefits will be logical: pulling over data structures, reusing logic for the individual building/unit/item/leader powers, etc. But there does not seem to be a one-to-one way to "transfer" the code, which is completely understandable given the big differences between the two platforms.

Return to “Developers”