Slow production rules

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Topf01

Slow production rules

Post by Topf01 »

Hi there,

on the topic of slow production the official rulebook states:
You are always able to Produce a single Level I Resource card without paying the cost if it’s the only card you Produce that turn.

On the topic of activating buildings it says:
These effects will either let you gain Influence Points or take Produce actions outside of the Player Action Phase.
My reading of this is:
a) The restriction on produce actions imposed by using slow production is not limited to the player action phase (since it does say that turn)
b) Activating a building to get a card is considered a produce action,
c) It should therefore not be possible to do both in the same turn.

I'm surprised that the BGA implementation seems to allow otherwise. What do you make of this? Does anyone know the original Japanese rules?
Fletcheese

Re: Slow production rules

Post by Fletcheese »

Topf01 wrote: 10 October 2022, 04:12 Hi there,

on the topic of slow production the official rulebook states:
You are always able to Produce a single Level I Resource card without paying the cost if it’s the only card you Produce that turn.

On the topic of activating buildings it says:
These effects will either let you gain Influence Points or take Produce actions outside of the Player Action Phase.
My reading of this is:
a) The restriction on produce actions imposed by using slow production is not limited to the player action phase (since it does say that turn)
b) Activating a building to get a card is considered a produce action,
c) It should therefore not be possible to do both in the same turn.

I'm surprised that the BGA implementation seems to allow otherwise. What do you make of this? Does anyone know the original Japanese rules?
My immediate reaction was to dismiss this as ridiculous, but if we're reading the rulebook literally it does sound like you have a point. But it could just be a poor translation that's intended to look more like "...if it's the only card you Produce for your Player Action" to prevent people from thinking they can perform multiple slow productions in one turn since this implies Level I resources could be free.

I am similarly interested in someone who can actually read/speak Japanese to comment on this, but I would lean toward playing it the way BGA has it if nothing other than to make the game more interesting. Slow Production does not need a nerf. If you are taking Slow Production regularly then you are losing, so we may as well give it a niche benefit of working with Buildings.
Topf01

Post by Topf01 »

I should have thought of this before...

I used Google Lens to translate the relevant section of the original rules. According to Google it says:
Basic resources are special resource cards

No cost.

By selecting the "Production" action, you can get one for free.
That does sound a lot more like BGA has it right. Sorry for making a fuss. :oops:
Optimus22

Post by Optimus22 »

Your TARDIS is strong.

Return to “Little Factory”