Advanced building scoring corner case

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
thenmal

Advanced building scoring corner case

Post by thenmal »

A player recently sent me a message about a bug with undo related to this game.
https://boardgamearena.com/gamereview?table=298394399

If you scroll down to about move 200 you can see a green tile being placed followed by scoring 1 point, then undo removing 2 points. This is because the advanced civilization building was part of a "region" (a set of tiles on the board with no leader) that was joined during placement. The code currently only looks at the kingdom at time of placement when checking for adv civ buildings, while the undo code does the same in reverse and thus the problem where one code block sees it and the other doesn't.

Fixing the bug is relatively trivial, however the question is in which direction should it be fixed. Close reading of the rulebook has not clarified the situation. Here are some bits from the rulebook...

Advanced Civilization Buildings
When a player places a tile in a kingdom containing a building of the corresponding color, the reward for the respective leader (or the king if the leader is absent) increases from one to two victory points. (Rewards for conflicts or monuments remain unaffected.)
Tile Placement
If the tile is placed in a kingdom, and this kingdom contains a leader of the same color, then the victory point is gained by the player controlling that leader.
Victory points are gained immediately when a tile is placed.
On Regions
A REGION is any area on the game board covered by a lonetile (e.g., a temple) or two or more linked tiles. Regions do not contain leaders. At the start of the game there are ten distinct, one-tile regions
So the question is, if you score a point "immediately when a tile is placed", do you look at the kingdom resulting from the placement or preceding it.
Last edited by thenmal on 26 September 2022, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
thenmal

Re: Advanced building scoring corner case

Post by thenmal »

All things equal, I am in favor of scoring 2 points in this situation just because changing the code in that direction is slightly simpler.
Miroku20X6

Post by Miroku20X6 »

Good question.

“ If the tile is placed in a kingdom, and this kingdom contains a leader of the same color, then the victory point is gained by the player controlling that leader.”

I think by strict definition the green civilization building was not in a kingdom when the tile was placed, so probably the limitation to just 1 point upon placement is correct. That said, the first time I encountered such a situation, I was very curious if BGA would give me 1 or 2 points, since I wasn’t sure.
notknowing

Post by notknowing »

It should look at the kingdom preceding the tile placement. If the civilization building isn't part of the kingdom before placement, it should only score one point, but the undo should only remove one point.

Return to “Tigris & Euphrates”