About gg and good game

Discuss about anything!
SimplicatusGames

Re: About gg and good game

Post by SimplicatusGames »

Personally, I find it more rude if an opponent crushes me and leaves chat without a word than if they type "gg". At least they acknowledge my existence that way. To me, it doesn't matter so much what people write in chat, as long as they write SOMETHING. We are not playing bots on here, but people.

I tend to use the preprogrammed niceties when I play on PC and always go for the GLHF sentence. I am not superstitious like some, that refuse to wish their opponent good luck, and on the other hand I also want them to have fun. So using only one of the two sounds like I don't wish them the other one. On mobile it's often easier to type glhf, and I have no issue with that either.

For me, gg is something you say at the end of the game, not at the beginning. I realize some have a different interpretation, so once in a while, when I see somebody type gg before a game, I realize it might not be mistyping (or accidentally selecting the wrong preprogrammed sentence).

I have also taken to choosing "Thank you for the game" if I win by a landslide, but in general what I always do and half expect other polite players to do is to be a good loser and type "gg" as a virtual handshake when they see that they've lost. Against some players that I play with a lot, I always lead with glhf and end with gg, and they will either type nothing or just gg at the end. If they're on mobile I understand that it's not that easy as you need to open the chat window which covers the play area, but I still do that for every game and I appreciate those who take time and effort to do that when they play against me. But even if I play game #100 against an opponent that NEVER typed a single thing in chat to me, I'll still greet them with glhf (or the full sentence when playing on PC) and end with gg. I want to set a standard, and it doesn't cost me much to have this habit. If I were to consider who is worthy of my greetings and which greeting I should use, it would take more effort, and I don't see the purpose.

Another very good reason for greeting EVERYBODY for me is that quite a few players will not only greet me back (like the overwhelming majority), but also type something more. Chat about the game can lead to more chatting and friendship requests, and I've made several virtual friends on here. I appreciate the BGA community, and especially these days, I believe it is important that as many as possible partake in international cooperation, even if it's just typing "gg" to an anonymous opponent in a virtual board game that takes a few minutes of your life.

TL;DR: Let's appreciate that somebody takes an effort to write anything at all, rather than assume that they are deliberately trying to insult you. Let's not raise our expectations too high. Playing hundreds of games a week (or whatever is a "high level of BGA activity" for you), it quickly adds up if you're going to type a whole sentence instead of a couple of letters. I'd rather have some interaction than none at all.
Our games make you think! https://Simplicatus.Games is an independent publisher and distributor of indie tabletop games.
DevillEye

Post by DevillEye »

kytbell wrote: 17 February 2022, 01:51 "Good game" is my personal BGA pet peeve and I've thought a lot about why it bothers me so much. As a person, I don't go in for superficiality. When somebody has beaten you by like 100 points or it's clear a game is a landslide, their popping off with "good game" (or "gg") at the end can seem snide. Saying "good game" when both players know it wasn't one is fake.

As an American, I assume BGA players doing this comes from the practice of sports teams lining up to shake hands after a game, saying "good game" to every opposing player. But this is an international site that's owned, as I understand, by the French. So why this US custom of saying "good game"? And abbreviating it as "gg"? Geez, that's the worst. A friend and I did that once in high school and when our coach heard us, she reamed our @sses for it because it's so disrespectful. The whole reason Americans started saying "good game" after contact sports was because you had just been in a physically aggressive and competitive environment, pushing and sometimes even hurting these people. You said "good game" to remind yourself that it was a game and that this game was over and to leave it on friendly terms (no fighting in the parking lot, etc). By saying something flip like "gg," it showed the other team you thought making up was a joke because they weren't even worth saying the full words to.

I personally say "thank you." Thank you for taking your time to play with me, a complete stranger in a different part of the world.
It makes no difference if you win or lose. Saying "gg" before the game was certain to end is the goal.

If the victor declares "gg" just before playing a checkmate, I have no issue. However, if you believe you see a potential mate in position 5, hold off on saying "gg" because I might not be aware of it and you could be mistaken.

The same is true when you say "gg" and continue playing rather than giving up when you are losing significantly.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

DevillEye wrote: 25 July 2022, 12:11
The same is true when you say "gg" and continue playing rather than giving up when you are losing significantly.
I continue to play it out, even in an obviously losing position. Is that bad style?

I didn't think all games have a concede button, and I thought I would be penalized for quitting the game. Am I mistaken?
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

SquashEngineer wrote: 17 October 2022, 19:30
DevillEye wrote: 25 July 2022, 12:11
I continue to play it out, even in an obviously losing position. Is that bad style?

I didn't think all games have a concede button, and I thought I would be penalized for quitting the game. Am I mistaken?
Conceding and quitting are not the same. BGA will not punish you for conceding, though some players will red thumb you. There are discussions elsewhere in the forum about early conceding. Basically, some players (often those who have come to boardgames via competitive chess) love it, and like to save time; others hate it, often because they want to play out the endgame or enjoy getting the highest score they can.

To avoid annoying anyone, it's probably best to ask your opponent before conceding.
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

BTW, am I the only one that cringes whenever anyone says GLHF? I totally accept that it's meant well, but it feels strange and patronising to be told to have fun.

Why would I be playing, if not to enjoy myself?
Fletcheese

Post by Fletcheese »

The vast variety of responses to this just emphasizes the point that there is no one answer and people will interpret the same statement in totally different ways. Say what you want to say, don't say what you don't want to say, try not to take anything too seriously, it's literally a game.
Poohser67

Post by Poohser67 »

I generally say “Thank you”, but if they have ended with a “good game “ or “gg” before me, I asked in kind.
TDG

Post by TDG »

So I know this is going to sound kind of weird, but at the beginning of a game, I generally only say "gl hf" [good luck have fun] if it's a longer game, and I might chat a little. I don't bother for shorter games like Can't Stop or Lucky Numbers.

When it comes to "GG" at the end of a game, if I lose I always say it. I don't want the person who won to think I'm bitter about losing angry that they won, etc. However, if I win (especially by a lot), I generally wait until any player who lost says it first. I don't want to run it in if they feel like it was a bad game for them, so I wait until someone else says it and then respond with either a "GG" or "you too" sort of thing.

Regardless, it's a game and I try not to read too much into any of it. 😁
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

Well, it was said on many games before Covid...

The V has brought a lot of people needing to play and not really involved in BGA community and Netiquette.

when you're the only one saying hi or gg, it ends you tend to forget about it too...
Alicatorze

Post by Alicatorze »

I once had an odd exchange about 'gg'. I played a game with someone whom I didn't recognise. I won and said 'gg'. I say it nine times out of ten whether I win or lose. The only times I don't say it is if they don't play to time or don't acknowledge my opening 'Hi have fun' or start commenting on my play in an attempt to put me off etc.

The person responded that the last time we had played together I had lost but not said 'gg'. They pointed out that I needed to remember my manners. :roll:

I find it a little spooky that they've put me on a list of people to tick off the next time they play them. I don't want the aggro in future so I've taken the obvious step to avoid playing with them in future.

Return to “Off-topic”