SETUP OPTIONS / Variants, Please explain.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
gabe69velasquez

SETUP OPTIONS / Variants, Please explain.

Post by gabe69velasquez »

Can someone go over all the options for Table Configuration and explain what they mean?
(I am not a premium player, can't look at and compare all options)
This is one example, but the options for each of the 5 settings
and explanations would be helpful:

♦ Game mode: Normal mode/?/?

♦ Game speed: Real-time • Normal speed, +1:12 per turn (maximum 4:00)

♦ Terrain tile layout: Variable setup, Variable terrain tiles layout with default numbers

♦ Harbor layout: Default setup, Harbors are placed as per standard layout of the frame

♦ Combined trade/build phase: Enabled, Players can trade and build in any order
Cos-

Re: SETUP OPTIONS / Variants, Please explain.

Post by Cos- »

"Normal mode" means it's not "training mode". In training mode there is no time limit for moves and no penalty for quitting, so it's useful for a game with a few friends, maybe you're all in the same place or on a discord together or something like that. When playing with random other BGA users, you pretty much always use normal mode. This is for all games, it's not a Catan-specific option.

Game speed is pretty self explanatory, and again, it's a standard BGA option, not a Catan-specific thing.

For tile layout, most games are either "variable setup" or "variable setup with random numbers". There's also a fixed layout - where all the pieces and numbers are the same for every game, I think - but I've never tried it. Variable setup means the positions of the resources are randomized around the board, but the numbers are still in their fixed positions. Add "with random numbers" and it means the positions of the numbers are also randomized. You still have the same set of resources and numbers (for example, there is always going to be one 12 and two 6's; there will always be three rock hexes and four wood hexes) but where they are on the board is random or pre-decided.

Harbors also have standard fixed positions, and a lot of games keep it that way - all the harbors are in the same places for every game. But you can also choose to randomly shuffle which harbor appears at which harbor spot. There's another option "shuffle frame pieces" whose description says "harbor pieces are not used" - I don't know what that does and have never seen a game with it.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

To add to Cos's reply:

Terrain tile layout: Starting setup. This is described in the official rules, which are available from this link as a PDF. See "Illustration A" on page 3.

Terrain tile layout: Variable setup [with default numbers]. The 18 resource hexes and the desert hex are placed completely by chance, then the numbers are placed according to a fixed formula. Starting at the northwest vertex of the board and then proceeding in a counterclockwise spiral, the numbers are placed on the hexes in this sequence: 5, 2, 6, 3, 8, 10, 9, 12, 11, 4, 8, 10, 9, 4, 5, 6, 3, 11 (but skipping the desert). For example, the western vertex is a 6 unless the desert is one of the three hexes on the northwest edge, in which case the 6 will appear on the middle hex of the southwest edge. Crucially, this setup will have a 5-6-9 intersection if and only if the desert hex is on one of the northwest, southwest, or south edges. The centre hex is an 11 (unless it is the desert). Hexes with the same number never border each other, and generally are far away from each other.

Terrain tile layout: Variable setup with random numbers. The 18 resource hexes and the desert hex are placed completely by chance, then the numbers are also placed randomly with the one proviso that a 6 or 8 may not touch a 6 or 8. The northwest vertex is not necessarily a 5; it could be any of the numbers. (Although there are still one each of 2 and 12, and two each of 3 through 6 and 8 through 11, for a total of 18 numbers.) With this option selected, it's possible to have two very-high-production intersections, for example an 8-5-5 in one place and a 6-9-9 somewhere else, but there can never be a 6-6-4 or 6-8-11, for example. That's my understanding.

Terrain tile layout: Monthly setup: "Layout and numbers randomly fixed for the current month". I'm kind of curious how BGA decided to offer this option. It might be interesting to play the same board setup a few different times, with different players. You could see in one game, what choices of first-two-settlements turned out to be most advantageous, and then you could choose those in your next game.

Harbor layout: This menu appears if and only if Terrain Tile Layout is set to "Variable setup" or "Variable setup with random numbers".

Harbor layout: Default setup. The same harbors (maritime ports) appear in the same position every game; for example, the wheat port is always on the north edge; the brick port is always on the southwest edge, there's always two 3:1 ports on the south edge.

Harbor layout: Shuffle frame pieces. I'm not sure about this one.

Harbor layout: Shuffle harbor pieces. There are still five 2:1 ports (one for each resource) and four 3:1 ports, but each appears in a different place each time. For example, instead of always being on the north edge, the wheat port might show up on the southwest vertex. But there is always some harbour in the same position as a harbour on the default setup; for example, there is one harbour on the east vertex, with both its docks touching that single hex, while on the west vertex there are two harbours, each touching that hex and a neighbouring one.

Combined trade/build phase. This is set up as a menu but as far as I can tell it can only be set to "Enabled". Maybe originally it was intended that the table administrator could either enable or disable that option, but the way the game is actually presented on this site, it is not really an option at all because it is always set to "Enabled".

It would be great if the developers, Darhf and Lordalx, could chime in on this thread to correct any errors I may have made above, and also to explain what the difference is, practically, between the "Shuffle frame pieces" option and "Shuffle harbor pieces".
gabe69velasquez

Post by gabe69velasquez »

Thank you both for sharing your insights on these almost too many options.

I would guess as with other games that have phases, that the default was
for everyone to do their trades together in one phase,
and then everyone do their building together in another phase.
Otherwise, as default now, players do their trades and building
combined on their individual turns. Combining them must be much faster.
But separated that would mean everyone gets to trade and build after each dice roll.
lea108

Post by lea108 »

Mathew5000 wrote: 13 September 2022, 01:03 Harbor layout: Shuffle frame pieces. I'm not sure about this one.
In older variants of the physical Catan game, the sea is made up of hexagon pieces that can be randomly placed. In newer variants, the sea is made of frame pieces that uses jigsaw connectors thus keeping the board tight and protect it from drifting apart. These frame pieces consist of two ports.

My understanding is that when you select *Shuffle frame pieces*, it will shuffle those frame pieces meaning ports are less random. Meaning every other port will be a 3:1 port. While if all ports are randomized you may end up with 3:1 ports bunched up together at one side of the island.

Reading from the options to my understanding newer editions with the frame pieces also have a small harbour token that can be placed ontop of the frame if you want to randomize harbours like you could in the original. And it is those who are unused if you randomize the frame pieces only.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

Thanks for this explanation! I had only ever played with older sets where the harbor and sea tiles are just tiles, so I had never seen frame pieces.

From what you're saying, it sounds like "shuffle frame pieces" will keep the positions of all the 3:1 ports the same, but shuffle which of the 2:1 port is which resource? Or did I misunderstand?
Panthergirl

Post by Panthergirl »

This is a great thread when it comes to explaining the setup options. Thanks for that! But what is really the best/most fun way to set up?

I currently use Variable Setup with Default Numbers, and the default Harbor layout. It seems like the random numbers could be fun, though.

Thoughts? Preferences?

Return to “Catan”