Games on BGA like Res Arcana?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Awesem90

Games on BGA like Res Arcana?

Post by Awesem90 »

Great game. Can anyone recommend similar games? I've already found Tash-Kalar.
N_Faker

Re: Games on BGA like Res Arcana?

Post by N_Faker »

Which aspects are you looking for in a game?
BoardNoremac

Post by BoardNoremac »

I would say Seasons is quite similar, only played it once though. I plan on playing it a lot more though.

In each game you start out drafting and play power cards. There are definitely differences but they both seem to be highly skill based.

Seasons Differences (this is based of the base game, not sure what the expansions add)
-Cards are more varied than artifacts since there are three types of one time use, continual and tap effects.
-There seems to be much more content on BGA.
-Dice mechanics, some people love that.
-Casting spells is similar yet different you will have to play to understand.
-Game is based around getting the most victory points possible

Res Arcana Differences
-Seasons mostly just has power cards while Res Arcana has Places of Powers/Monuments in the center row. Nothing like that in Seasons.
-You get a hero at the start, I love having a special hero/character ability in games.
-Game is based around racing to a certain amount of victory points.
-Res Arcana you can play with just playing 2-3 of your cards while Seasons is all about the draft.

I definitely love both games. Res Arcana I think really just needs more cards. It is definitely fun but seems it could be so much better with a few expansions. It is just too easy to go for Catacombs / Dragon's Lair every game.

I actually have been playing 1-2 new games everyday on BGA to "lower the amount of games to play" but every game I have been played has been fun in their own way. Tash Kalar, Res Arcana and Seasons definitely give you the mage dueling concept. So far I am at 18 games that I potentially see myself playing regularly!

I also love the 1v1 dueling theme games. It doesn't seem like there are many other games in this genre on BGA yet. Res Arcana, Tash Kalar and Seasons are all super fun though when you are in the mood for this type of game.
federspiel30

Post by federspiel30 »

Not 1 to 1 comparable but many players who like Res Arcana also like 7 Wonders Duel. It is strategic, uses resources you can buy and one game takes about the same time as res arcana.
federspiel30

Post by federspiel30 »

Awesem90 wrote: 25 February 2021, 13:56 Great game. Can anyone recommend similar games? I've already found Tash-Kalar.
Is Tash-Kalar still available? Game search does not show it.
federspiel30

Post by federspiel30 »

It is, but not existent by search.
Shobu

Post by Shobu »

The search works perfectly fine for me.

Still, i really don't see what Res Arcana and Tash-Kalar have in common.
Palapapa

Post by Palapapa »

Seasons is indeed the most similar in my opinion.

In a very different theme, It's a Wonderfull World has some similar game mechanics. 4rounds of draft and actions, engine building at the beginning then score as many points as possible towards the end. Combos between cards played also.

Return to “Res Arcana”