3-player Arena

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Mathew5000

Catan with 4 players rather than 3

Post by Mathew5000 »

For those who like a 4-player game, and don't mind playing turn-based, consider registering in a "double-Swiss" tournament I created: https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=171743

Scheduled to begin on November 1, stage 1 will consist of 4 matches within each group, after which the top 2 players from each of 4 groups will advance to stage 2 for another 4 matches. The "Swiss system" means that, for example, if you do well in your first two matches, for your third match you will be against other players in your group who have done well.

The default number of players for each match is set to 4.
michaelHastriter

Re: 3-player Arena

Post by michaelHastriter »

Hey I personally like 3 player better
Tharnduil

Re: Catan with 4 players rather than 3

Post by Tharnduil »

Mathew5000 wrote: 16 October 2022, 12:01 For those who like a 4-player game, and don't mind playing turn-based, consider registering in a "double-Swiss" tournament I created: https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=171743
The problem is the turn-based part of the settings. Turn-based is basically whichever die rolls the best wins because people can't be bothered to interact with trades (I myself will fall into that category if ever I play turn-based). And that makes sense since the game is already at a snails pace on turn-based.

Better would be to have a Catan tournament on a certain day. I think it would go over quite well if publicized enough in advance and players knew it would be a one or even two day event (a saturday/sunday thing).

Anyways, not to knock your tournament just giving some insight for a future tournament.
DVC

Post by DVC »

Tharnduil wrote: 25 October 2022, 22:22
Mathew5000 wrote: 16 October 2022, 12:01 For those who like a 4-player game, and don't mind playing turn-based, consider registering in a "double-Swiss" tournament I created: https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=171743
The problem is the turn-based part of the settings. Turn-based is basically whichever die rolls the best wins because people can't be bothered to interact with trades (I myself will fall into that category if ever I play turn-based). And that makes sense since the game is already at a snails pace on turn-based.

Better would be to have a Catan tournament on a certain day. I think it would go over quite well if publicized enough in advance and players knew it would be a one or even two day event (a saturday/sunday thing).

Anyways, not to knock your tournament just giving some insight for a future tournament.
I initially had similar reservations, but I’ve now played several dozen turn-based 4p games and found that I like it a lot. For one thing, the slower pace allows you to really appreciate every move and every trade you make. You have time to reflect and it’s easier to plan ahead. The trading part is only a problem if players don’t adapt, and insist on offering 1:1, then another 1:1, then another 1:1, as you might in a real-time game. Instead, you can take your time to work out what might get accepted, and make trades more selectively. In some ways, this actually improves the process, as you are being more targeted. Counter-offers can be thought through in a similar way. Also, you don’t have to wait for everyone to respond before accepting or changing your offer. Yes, it’s polite to do so, but often your targeted trade is only designed for one other player, so you can move on quickly when they respond, knowing that the others will say no.

The only issue that might arise with this tournament is the same as many other turn-based games on BGA - the big red button of doom. The skip-turn option can be used and abused, to skew the round result the way of whoever does the booting, and with Catan it’s quite easy to go over your allotted time due to the timer switching to you if a trade offer is in the air. So when you set the tournament up, I’d A) give maximum time to all players; and B) make it clear at the start not to boot any other player if their timer goes red - only acceptable if they have clearly given up.

So, yes, the game feels different turn-based, but it has its own charms, and if you adapt your play slightly, the trading works fine.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

I'm really enjoying 3p arena. Such a good call.
MsEnidster

Post by MsEnidster »

Agreed. I don't even like 3p games in the regular or even training mode -- once the robber is in play it's basically always on you unless you have a Knight card to get it off. There are not enough other players to alternate it.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Scheduled to begin on November 1, stage 1 will consist of 4 matches within each group, after which the top 2 players from each of 4 groups will advance to stage 2 for another 4 matches. The "Swiss system" means that, for example, if you do well in your first two matches, for your third match you will be against other players in your group who have done well.

The default number of players for each match is set to 4.
Stage 2 of that "double Swiss" I mentioned is ongoing: https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=171745

I've created a new 4-player double-Swiss tournament beginning March 23. Capped at 128 players, so far 56 have signed up:
https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=199719
vamoscosmos719

Post by vamoscosmos719 »

The problem I'm seeing with 3 player arena is that I'm seeing instances where 2 people team up in multiple games and let the same person win, in which that person gets an elo boost and climbs up the elo leaderboard. I can imagine the third person that is not part of that team is getting robbed or not getting any trades at all
DVC

Post by DVC »

vamoscosmos719 wrote: 23 March 2023, 02:29 The problem I'm seeing with 3 player arena is that I'm seeing instances where 2 people team up in multiple games and let the same person win, in which that person gets an elo boost and climbs up the elo leaderboard. I can imagine the third person that is not part of that team is getting robbed or not getting any trades at all
This is essentially the reason why 3p Catan is fundamentally bad - it is unbalanced. I always play with 4 because that’s how it’s meant to be played. It’s sickening that the 3p “gurus” are still in control and refuse to change it. Even for one season. Such a waste of a good implementation.
_KwiZ_

Post by _KwiZ_ »

Catan is best balanced as a 4 player game and should always be a 4 player game whenever it's possible

Return to “Catan”