Rank 1s Tips & Tricks for Arena mode

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Shimon142

Rank 1s Tips & Tricks for Arena mode

Post by Shimon142 »

Hi all!

I’d like to share a few small tips with the booming TTR community! (If you’re pro then you can skip this thread as you probably better than me.. this is beginners)

Tips #1 - Picking your routes:

Most players pick their routes because they’re close or they can easily be completed.
Say you have a option of 3 routes:
LA - Miami = 20
LA - Chicago = 16
Duluth - El paso = 10

Many players will attempt to do 20+16 pointers as both routes require LA.
But that’s a huge mistake as they’re taking a very big risk completing them in optimal tracks (6 black, 6 green, 6 red, 5 blue etc.)
Many times in multi, 6 black & 6 green are extremely sought after since it covers many different routes in the map. Therefore it’s quite likely (I’d say 30-40%) you won’t get both 6 black and 6 green even if you’re a only trying to get those 2 colours.
Instead 16+10 is a more efficient gain as it’s less risk + you can be more flexible and flexibility usually means you can aim for longest track which is +10 points. (Of course in this event you’d need 6 black for optimal tracking but at least you’re not in desperate need for 6 green & 6 red)

Tip #2 - First moves

Your first moves are extremely important and can decide wether you win or lose the game in many games.
We’re gonna stick to the 16+10 route that you chose.
Prioritizing 6 black will be the best way to get about it.
Do NOT pick any other colour but black or deck.
If you see no one is taking blacks then you can relax and start taking yellow, red, green, orange etc to make the optimal route to get to chicago/duluth.
So what happens if other players are taking my blacks?
You have 2 options:
1. See if they’re taking whites too.
- if they are they’re likely to be going for Vancouver - Montreal
- if they’re not, then if you have 3-5 blacks on hand (including your locs) then start picking locs.
2. Prepare for suboptimal track.
You’d need 3 of any colour to go from LA - Phoenix & Phoenix - El Paso. If you see your opponent is close to 6 black (you sort of have to guess & see how many he took) then place the LA/Phoenix right away.

Tip #3 - Mid game

Try to avoid 1-2 or even 3 tracks as they give very little points, of course if you need santa Fe then it’s a must to use a 2/3 track.
Just like tip #2 remember to prioritize which colour you need.
As for the previous Tracks you took, you need to prioritize 3 red because that connects Duluth & chicago.
Then obviously you need 6 orange, 4 green, 4 red, 5 yellow.
If someone took your 6 orange then you opt for suboptimal track again. (4 blue, 4 pink etc)
Always try to go for longest route as it gives +10 to you

Tip #4 - End game

Say you finished all your routes, now what?
You can see based on colours and routes you took if:
1 - drawing another route
2 - get 5/6 tracks to lengthen your trains in order to get the +10 @ end and finish game fast so other players might not get to finish their routes.

In the case of Duluth/Elpaso & LA/chicago
If you did optimal tracks to get to chicago then I’d advise to continue & lengthen your route
If you didn’t do optimal then try your luck in deck to see if you can get LA/New York or Portland/Nashville or any other route that’s not far from what you’ve done

Small tips:
1 - Always look @ opponents colours they take.
2 - Prioritize one or two specific colours.
3 - Atlanta/Nashville & Houston/New Orleans are important first moves if your optimal route is there, so Take it asap!
4 - Count your pieces to make sure you get longest route.
5 - Ultimately HAVE FUN!!

Thank you all if you read till the end. I hope this helps people reach Elite!
Two-Sheds

Re: Rank 1s Tips & Tricks for Arena mode

Post by Two-Sheds »

Thanks!

Return to “Ticket to Ride”