Expansions?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
allroy1

Expansions?

Post by allroy1 »

I haven't been playing here very long, and I love the game but miss having the Europe and Oceania expansions. Is there a way to play with one or both of them added in? I cant seem to find any settings for it
Meeplelowda

Re: Expansions?

Post by Meeplelowda »

allroy1 wrote: 16 October 2022, 23:56 I haven't been playing here very long, and I love the game but miss having the Europe and Oceania expansions. Is there a way to play with one or both of them added in? I cant seem to find any settings for it
Not currently.
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

however, all the bird cards from the expansions are programmed already (you can see them in the translation system). so it might happen in the future!
paramesis

Post by paramesis »

Information for the bird and bonus cards for the European and Oceania expansions is indeed recorded in the materials database. However, this should not be construed as a representation that the expansions have been or will be implemented. In truth, I meant to filter these out before the project went to Beta so they wouldn't appear in the translation system, but didn't get around to it.

Whether expansion content comes to BGA is entirely up to the agreement between Stonemaier Games and Monster Couch, the developers of the official app, who have generously allowed for a digital implementation on BGA. See this blog post for more info:
https://stonemaiergames.com/stonemaier- ... an-on-bga/

The latest I've heard on the matter from Jamey on his weekly livecast is that expansions are probably not coming to BGA (see timestamped video link). I haven't heard anything otherwise or caught up with subsequent livecasts yet. The implementation was designed to be expandable without too much difficulty, but I respect the publisher and digital rightsholders' reasons for not doing so, and I thank them and BGA for the opportunity to work on this project.
jinncarry

Post by jinncarry »

I hope Stonemaier and Monster Couch decide to eventually allow the European expansion on here, on the timeline of months to years. I understand that now definitely isn't the time, given that Wingspan Asia currently is in the limelight for physical copy sales, and Monster Couch is still rolling out updates and expansions DLC for their implementation.

However, I think everyone would win if the first expansion were allowed here after some time. It would keep the game popular, keep the core playerbase interested and engaged through subsequent seasons, and give a sample of what an expansion can do for the game to prospective buyers.
Mahakhala

Post by Mahakhala »

One reason to include expansions, is that there are many more top tier cards, which makes it more likely that all players will have access to one or some top tier cards.
BEPATIENT7

Post by BEPATIENT7 »

Would be nice to have Oceania
detlefchef11

Post by detlefchef11 »

I actually really like the base game and, because it's a total hassle to pull out all the cards in RL, never play it at home. We play all the expansions here. So, if I want base, I come here. EE, I go to my steam app. Or full-tilt, I play the board game with my wife. It's a nice way to have access to all of them.

The one thing I don't like is the fact that the quick start cards are not included. Mostly because I love the American Redstart.
susuqie

Post by susuqie »

As a proud owner of the base game, the european expansion, the oceania expansion, the asia expansion AND the nesting box I love that I can play this game on BGA too as my friends live all over the country/world. And i would love it even more if they would make an expansion available on BGA as well.

The oceania expansion might not come to BGA, but it is coming to Steam soon.
We are extremely excited to finally share this joyful news with you and a teaser created especially for this occasion. Wingspan has been an incredible journey, and we can't wait to share this next adventure with you. Mark your calendars for ✨November 7th, the day we reveal the release date✨, and prepare to dive into the breathtaking world of Wingspan: Oceania Expansion.
Back in september 22 Stonemaier stated that
Thanks to BGA developer Dan Adams, Wingspan is now available on Board Game Arena! I’m excited for the game to let more people play with other Wingspanners from around the world and welcome people to Wingspan for the first time. Like with any digital game, part of the hope is that the digital versions will invite at least some people to purchase the tabletop version of the game and explore the expansions there; we can also learn from the data provided by BGA.
I hope that the data provided by BGA might persuade Stegmaier and Monster Couch to reconsider there original standpoint of not bringing expansions to BGA.
Deimos187

Post by Deimos187 »

I own all of the physical copies of the expansions but I must be the odd (wood) duck that prefers the base game overall. I do, however, think that omitting power birds is a must for relatively fair play.

Return to “Wingspan”