Any chance of a feature that would let the remaining players play for the win when someone is out of time?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Mathew5000

Any chance of a feature that would let the remaining players play for the win when someone is out of time?

Post by Mathew5000 »

I thought I'd repost this in English since it received no discussion when originally posted:
pheldar wrote: 17 September 2022, 16:44 Salut,

Existe il une fonction pour faire passer le tour d'un joueur qui n'a plus de temps au lieu de l'expulser immédiatement ?

Merci,

Pheldar
Translation: If a player is out of time, does there exist a function to have their turns passed instead of expelling them immediately?

I find it frustrating, especially in Catan, where one player quits the game, or is out of time and expelled. Any of the remaining players can continue playing until someone gets to 10VP, but it doesn't affect the "official" result of the game, which is a tie for first place among the players who did not quit or run out of time. This is particularly bad in tournaments (where the "tie" for first place is broken based on age of account).

For example, suppose Red and Blue have 9VP each, while Orange has 4VP. If Blue runs out of time, then Orange can expel Blue and then be credited with a tie for the win (even though Red was much closer to winning). If it's a tournament game where only the winner advances to the next round, and Orange happens to have joined BGA before the other two tied players, then Orange will be the one to advance.

I know this is a site-wide issue. In many games there is no such thing as "passing a turn". But as Catan has that concept built in, would it possible to change this behaviour for Catan only, such that when a player quits or is expelled for being out of time, the other players are expected to continue playing, and they do not automatically tie for 1st, while the out-of-time player has their turns passed (and has the robber placed on the desert when rolling a 7).
Last edited by Mathew5000 on 09 November 2022, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky2017

Re: Any chance of a feature that would let the remaining players play for the win when someone is out of time?

Post by Ricky2017 »

Yes!! This sucks when you set up a game and someone decides they don't like their start position and quits. The way catan plays it is very easy to tell when you will lose or do badly. Waiting for someone to get 10 points can take a long time. A 'continue play' feature for the 2 or 3 remaining players would be a better experience for all. Sometimes you can get really good games, and that makes me want to play more. But I have learned to never play with anyone that does not have at the very least a "very good reputation".
el cosimo

Re: Any chance of a feature that would let the remaining players play for the win when someone is out of time?

Post by el cosimo »

Not needed to implement this. You get a weird situation too. The AI play and never trade/build but steal without any logic (sometimes block his own). Also AI don’t get any resources or at least not the right amount of resources.

Game is completely unfair.. maybe the AI need to get better when this can happen

Return to “Catan”