'aggressive behaviour'

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
GeraldineMerida

Re: 'aggressive behaviour'

Post by GeraldineMerida »

@Earthboundia: become a premium player and you can set your game options to whichever conventions you want. And if people ignore that and insist on using more complex conventions after joining, just red thumb them. You can also set your options to just average or apprentice players, who tend to play with few if any conventions.

There is definitely toxicity here, but it is avoidable to a large extent.

And of course, once you find people who play at approx your level and without toxicity, you can friend them and play regularly.
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

Earthboundia wrote: 08 September 2022, 19:32 You've taken the time to give a full reply which I can respect so it's only fair I reply to that too. In regards to the ranking stuff, from anecdotes and personal experience Hanabi is a game with a very large portion of players playing public having high ELO (400+) so the idea of playing with players around my rank is extremely difficult in a practical scenario.
You can’t convince me it is impossible when I’ve done it. You may just need to become more patient. When you restrict the pool of players, it will take longer to find partners.

(Do you know why so many players have 400+ ELO? Because what you have to learn to get over 400 is almost nothing. If you can recognise a typical save clue, and play the leftmost card when you receive a clue that is not a save, that is probably enough to reach 400. Maybe you would also need to recognise the most basic form of finesse, but lots of players have wound up in games I start with a rating just over 500 and not knowing either bluff or double finesse, or even reverse.)
Earthboundia wrote: 08 September 2022, 19:32 While I understand the appeal of "hardcore" Hanabi, it's a next to impossible game to play on just a casual level in public lobbies. And I will admit that this is an issue in a lot of coop games which are well established. But that is probably BGA could do rather than ELO instead have a casual and hardcore mode for separate players.
If you can’t find players at your level now, what makes you think you will be able to find players after further segregating the community? Having a specially-implemented “casual” setting (which is more work for the developers, who I promise have a never-ending stream of work to do) is not going to make a large number of Average-rank players suddenly appear.

(And I promise you, implementing Casual mode will just lead to arguments over what counts as Casual. I’ve played games, mostly in person, with way too many players who consider themselves casual gamers, and want to play games with a casual attitude, which basically amounts to having nobody at the table attempting to play well, and that leads to extra rules trying to define what is acceptable during a casual boardgame, and inevitable arguments over the problematic edge cases.)

If you want to try to attract the players who don’t care about their ELO, just start games in Training mode. That’s what Training mode is for.

But be aware that there is no setting that will conjure more players.
Earthboundia wrote: 08 September 2022, 19:32 Also you haven't addressed the point of people deliberately quitting to maintain ELO.
What point? That’s just one form of toxic behaviour that occurs. I treat it basically the same as other toxic behaviour (with the additional step of declining the suggested abandon, when done for ELO preservation). Decline the suggested abandon; if the player hassles anybody about it in chat, or deliberately misfires to end the game, red thumb and perhaps report. Attempting to pressure others into abandoning is already subject to moderation.

This is not significantly different to how I treat insults, or other toxic behaviour.
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

@Earthbounda: you might like the 'no abandon' hanabi group. Not only do they not abandon, but many of the players there have what I would consider a casual attitude to making mistakes/aiming for optimal play. Personally, I found their constant naming and shaming of would-be abandnners a different kind of toxic, but that's just me.
Proclivitas

Post by Proclivitas »

I already enjoy the "no abandon" Hanabi group.

It's called instantly denying abandon requests, asking why they want to abandon, and insisting on a sensical answer because "we can't finish" and "it's ruined" isn't. The game is obviously still going on, and definitely isn't finished. Then, reporting everyone who requested an abandon for intentionally abandoning the game.

It's a preset for a reason.

It's the little things that warm the heart.
Kaladry

Post by Kaladry »

Proclivitas wrote: 17 September 2022, 06:31 Then, reporting everyone who requested an abandon for intentionally abandoning the game.
This seems like a great way to get yourself some negative karma for false reporting since they didn’t actually abandon the game.
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

I used to play a lot Hanabi games and, yes, conventions and mistakes can get people to be annoyed or aggressive.
Many masters are only interested in winning with a nearly perfect score. That's a fact. I was one of them.
I received and gave thumbs.

Cooperative games often lead to more red thumbs and give more work to moderators.
I even received thumbs in Saboteur !
Proclivitas

Post by Proclivitas »

Kaladry wrote: 20 September 2022, 07:22 This seems like a great way to get yourself some negative karma for false reporting since they didn’t actually abandon the game.
If you offer a bribe and they refuse, should the consequences for you be lesser than if it were accepted?

Also, whoever was suggesting groups should probably inform those groups that they are grossly misguided.

If someone is interesting in quitting they should form a cheater group where they can cheat together and label it clearly, not you.
Silene

Post by Silene »

Suggesting abandon is not a crime. Collectively abandonning is allowed by the site and unfortunately there is no elo-reduction for this kind of giving up. But it's how it is implemented now and while I think little of this behavour of massively abandonning games, it does not mean the people doing it need to be reported / punished or anything.

The problem only starts where denying the abandonning-request is not accepted by the other players and people try to force you into abandonning by trying to make you feel guilty about it or even by insulting. But these cases can certainly be reported and that's what I do, when it happens.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Palini

Post by Palini »

There is one easy sollution to the problem of aggressive behaviour. Never play with "experts" or "masters" of this game, and you will be perfeclty fine in most cases. :D
Nikkidemas

Post by Nikkidemas »

It helped immensely when I stopped playing with highly-ranking players who point out each mistake. I play a LOT but I play for fun. My favorite opponents are the ones who realize this is just a game. We forgive each other's mistakes. The least fun opponents are the ones who play *strictly* by one convention. They don't say "hi" or "good luck", but you'll see that chat box light up the second you make a play with which they don't agree. Even worse, many simply ask to resign after one mistake.

Yes, perfect games are satisfying. But to me, half the fun in this game is trying to figure out what your opponent is telling you. If all you want is an opponent who makes predictable moves based on strict rules without any variation - wouldn't you be better off playing against a computer instead of human strangers?

Return to “Hanabi”