Bluffing/deduction game "Raubbau" is now in Beta

Hot and crispy games just out of the oven
Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on: https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Matthias X

Bluffing/deduction game "Raubbau" is now in Beta

Post by Matthias X »

Hi everyone,

Raubbau (3 to 5 players) is now in Beta. In and out, 30 minute adventure!
Raubbau is a fast-paced deduction/bluffing game. It looks like a tile-laying game, but the heart of Raubbau are psychological mind-games (highly interactive - but without "take that!").

https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=raubbau
https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=12384637

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. (I'm the designer of the game: If you have feedback concerning game design, it's appreciated as well.)
I hope you enjoy the game!
Raubbau_example.png
Raubbau_example.png (463.51 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Matthias
EpicDim

Re: Bluffing/deduction game "Raubbau" is now in Beta

Post by EpicDim »

Any reason this doesn't support turn based play? It seems like there isn't any real time aspect of the rules. My group only plays turn based and it seems like it would be a good fit for us.
Nastaa

Post by Nastaa »

Because the designer/developer wanted to have it only available in real time. Here is their explanation given in the players group:
I can't imagine Raubbau being fun in turn-based mode (Personally, I don't like taking notes + one would have to write down the reactions of all players + reaction times are sometimes important)
I think the number of plays will decrease drastically - on the other hand: If players get a bad first impression, they will not play it another time.
Matthias X

Post by Matthias X »

EpicDim wrote: 27 January 2023, 15:40 Any reason this doesn't support turn based play? It seems like there isn't any real time aspect of the rules. My group only plays turn based and it seems like it would be a good fit for us.
Hi EpicDim,
since Raubbau was changed to turn based only, almost no-one plays it.
I asked the administrators recently to change it back. But that will take some time.
I would like to hear your feedback though :-)
Matthias
EpicDim

Post by EpicDim »

I understand that there are real time purists. But if people enjoy the game does it really matter how they enjoy it? A lot of people argue against playing Tichu in turn based and yet there are a ton of players who play only this way. Not everyone has the ability to sit down and allow uninterrupted play and yet we still enjoy playing games. Everything is in the logs anyway (or could/should be) so being able to take your time and login in a couple of times a day and make a move is better. I have 10-15 games going of different things at the same time and when I log in I might make 8-10 moves. I can't sit for 30 minutes and not be interrupted and focus and watch what everyone else is doing.

To each their own, but it's unfortunate when a designer doesn't want people to play a game in any other way than the way they intended.

Return to “"Beta" games”