Stop forcing half game progress before possibility to give up

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
wGula

Stop forcing half game progress before possibility to give up

Post by wGula »

I don't know if it is a global thing or special for the game Trough the ages, but it is frustrating, that the game lets you give up only after half game progress. If my first 2-3 moves are terrible and loose is unavoidable, why can't I give up? No one accepts draw or suggestion to end the game, I can't give up, only two option remained 1) suffer trough the ~1 hour game knowing it is sure a loss or 2) leave accepting karma loss together with rating loss. Makes no sense. Suggestion is to be able to give up as soon as you know you are doomed.
Meeplelowda

Re: Stop forcing half game progress before possibility to give up

Post by Meeplelowda »

wGula wrote: 28 October 2022, 19:09 I don't know if it is a global thing or special for the game Trough the ages, but it is frustrating, that the game lets you give up only after half game progress. If my first 2-3 moves are terrible and loose is unavoidable, why can't I give up? No one accepts draw or suggestion to end the game, I can't give up, only two option remained 1) suffer trough the ~1 hour game knowing it is sure a loss or 2) leave accepting karma loss together with rating loss. Makes no sense. Suggestion is to be able to give up as soon as you know you are doomed.
This restriction is in place to make it more cumbersome to ELO boost by having alt accounts concede games to main accounts. Cheaters are why we can't have nice things.
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

There should be a restriction to prevent cheating (and giving up way too early), but I agree 50% is too high.

Perhaps it could be lowered to 30%.
SkyDog

Post by SkyDog »

I think the percentage should not be universal, but the way BGA is set up makes it that way.
For some games, the argument can be made that if the first half is lopsided in the favor of one player/team, then the second half being lopsided in the favor of the other player(s)/team is possible, thus evening things out.
However, those games are ones where some form of resetting occurs in the process of the game going on.
Those games should remain at 50%.
But if you are playing a game where you are building continuously throughout the game, you have a chance of being doomed early on, either through bad luck or bad play, and I think the percentage should be set as a smaller amount in games like those.
If the % is globally set for all games, and can't be changed per game, 50% probably has to be the setting due to that alone.

Return to “Suggestions”