rhymes

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
bagofnails

rhymes

Post by bagofnails »

Sorry to start another thread, but this is a separate subject from the other one, I feel. The clue was Lightning, and I put Frightning, a la the Queen song, Bohemian Rhapsody. But even without the association of that song, I feel that it would be a valid clue. Many humans and animals find rthunder and lightning extremely frightning. It was disallowed because it rhymed, and I didn't realise this was a thing. The rule is not mentioned in the clues, and the word is relevant and not related. I am wondering what people's thoughts on this are.
LesserJester

Re: rhymes

Post by LesserJester »

I came here to ask a similar thing. I thought rhyming clues were allowed so long as they are not homophones. Frightening sounds like lightning but is not a homophone so I don't know why they objected. the summary example is whether and weather which are literally the same sound. I can't see anything saying similar sounding words that are not exactly the same are invalid. Have I misunderstood? I've only played it a few times so I don't really understand it fully yet.

My question is whether there is a symbol to put when you're trying to say "sounds like". Eg *luck for sounds like duck?
aghagh

Post by aghagh »

My interpretation of the spirit of the game is that clues should connect with the mystery word by concepts, by its meaning. Not by how the mystery word may look or sound.
LesserJester

Post by LesserJester »

so can we not use rhyming words? It feels like this game really needs some official guidance
aghagh

Post by aghagh »

My personal opinion and where I would draw the line: I think there is room for rhyming clues if they are not just rhymes but connect to the mystery word by a concept. Some examples:

- Mystery word "truffle" / clue "shuffle" because of the board game "Shuffle truffle".
- Mystery word "rain" / clues "Spain" or "plain" because of the famous My Fair Lady quote "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain".
- Mystery word "flight" / clue "fight" because of the "Fight-or-flight response"

Return to “Just One”