?????????????

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
UltravioletLemon

?????????????

Post by UltravioletLemon »

Could we collectively decide to not respond to people's mistakes with an incredulous string of question marks?

I love this game but the culture is so intense. There are so many reasons people might make a mistake. Long day at work. Child in the background. A different skill level. Genuine mistake or misinterpreting of the clue (interpreting clues is the point of the game! If people want to put to cards in a row by themselves they should play Solitaire).

It is not helpful and makes me question my moves more, making me more likely to make mistakes. And even with conventions I've found I've been questioned for doing one thing in a situation I've been questioned for NOT doing in another.

End rant. Not sure how to change the culture of the game on this site but maybe can we all just relax a bit? (????)
GeraldineMerida

Re: ?????????????

Post by GeraldineMerida »

I'd say if you are looking for a relaxing game, Hanabi is probably not the best choice!

I love it, but it's tense and challenging even without factoring in the behaviour of strangers who don't play or react the way you'd like them to.

Nor is it a game best suited to an environment where you are going to be distracted by noisy kids, etc.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

In my games I explicitly ask not to comment on clues (or lack of them) during the game, and "?????" is a comment too. Even if you think a comment does not give any information, perhaps the fact that you believe so is an information, in the case of "?????" it means you don't understand the clue, so it must not be a finesse/bluff for me.
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

Except when there are multiple question marks, it doesn't bother me.
Sometimes I make mistakes, because it’s not my best day, I’m tired or whatever, and my teamates can’t know that cause we are online and not around a real table. (Except some players I played a lot with which notice my play is not as efficient are they are use to.)

If someone types a « ? » in chat, I read it like a « Hey, are you ok buddy ? » or « Are you sure you didn’t miss something ? ;) » .
Sure they could just also write it like this to avoid missreading. But many players play on their phones and writing on them is quite a pain.

As Jelby said it could also be considerated as a cheat, cause it gives some informations.

Just a « ? » is quite an an intermediate solution to me. Doesn’t say much, doesn’t look agressive. Maybe like a « hum » around a real table.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

It still says you didn't understand something. Maybe there was nothing to understand and it was a mistake, or maybe it was just a clue for someone else, or for you. If you say "?", now I know it was probably not for me, and if it was for you I should reclue.
sorryimlikethis

Post by sorryimlikethis »

As someone who was introduced to Hanabi as it being a relaxing, co-operative game...
It is hilarious to me how the Hanabi community is the most toxic one on BGA, hands down.
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

I don't really have experience with other games on BGA, especially cooperative games.
I only played few games on Top Ten and we all spoke the same language so it was easier not to misunderstand each others.

With Hanabi we play with many different people as the games are fast. When we play one game with a very rude player, we remember a bad feeling even if the 10 last games were very nice. :(

I would like to have more details on the community of comparable games (cooperative, same duration). I hope Hanabi is not as bad.
Malo77

Post by Malo77 »

It is really a pain when someone does not talk at all ... just "????????????????????" ...
so we do not know what the player expected ...
and we cannot explain and/or learn

Maybee we should have some play mode so we can tell what lmode we like and want to play
- no messages
- messages welcome
- beginners friendly / or not
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

Malo77 wrote: 15 November 2022, 15:43 It is really a pain when someone does not talk at all ... just "????????????????????" ...
so we do not know what the player expected ...
and we cannot explain and/or learn

Maybee we should have some play mode so we can tell what lmode we like and want to play
- no messages
- messages welcome
- beginners friendly / or not
Games can be set to exclude beginners (or other levels of inexperience). If someone doesn't do this, I think it's reasonable to expect them to be OK with some beginner errors.

And some hosts do specify e.g. 'no table talk until after the game' in the notes for their game. But that assumes people read them and don't just hop into the first available game.
Malo77

Post by Malo77 »

It should be like you tell ... but unfortunately it is not that way at all.

50% of people do not start games when a lower score player tries to play.
(and do not set their preferences about that beforhand)

50% of strong player do not like when you talk or make mistakes
(and this is not beginner/talker friendly)

Even beginners do not cares about advices / do not respond.
(this is quite annoying as you spend time trying to explain, and in the end lose points, and nobody learns from mistakes)

Moreover which does not help : game scoring grants very few points when you do a very very good game (5-6 points).
And just good games sometimes grants 0 / -1.

So a better /easier way of setting the way you play/like it is necessary at least for this game

I would like that, as I like this game anyway, but I need a better play experience.

Return to “Hanabi”