Very uneven arena game scores

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs

Change points awarded for wild melds in arena games

500 points
25%
1000 points
33%
No wild melds
8%
Keep as is
33%

Total votes: 24

ABray

Very uneven arena game scores

Post by ABray »

I think changing the points allotted for wild melds needs considered for the arena games. The game scores are too often very lop-sided, as is the distribution of wild cards. I think it would help if the wild melds were only worth 1000 points, or considered a clean meld for 500 points. Thoughts?
tyrab

Re: Very uneven arena game scores

Post by tyrab »

I agree. Too often the games are a very lopsided with no way of evening out the score
hopp751

Post by hopp751 »

Someone I was discussing with about this had a good medium solution. A clean wild meld would be 1500 points while a dirty one is worth only 500. Any comments about that proposal?
kriskeith

Post by kriskeith »

i have also logged
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=72077
to your orginal statement "uneven distribution"
if the randomization (better shuffles) changed, hopefully it would not be so lopsided
Maxxthecat

Post by Maxxthecat »

I’ve never played hand and foot except on this site. IRL games do you have a problem with lopsided games? Do you use similar scoring? The cards are shuffled by a computer, is there any way that one side is favored over the other? IRL do have a way to concede the game?
Ropemaker

Post by Ropemaker »

Replying to Maxxthecat:
I play IRL, and although our settings are different that Arena H&F, we rarely have games that are a runaway. We do not allow wild melds, therefore the clean and dirty melds are about equal, which could be why the scores are much closer. On BGA, IMHO, it doesn't matter what the settings are....if the dealt cards are programmed to favor one team. I've played non-arena games on BGA where no wild melds are allowed, and BGA bombards me with wild cards, so much so that I must discard wild cards in order to keep a pair. I think I can confidently say, that we all would like games based on strategy and luck, as opposed to JUST luck. 😄
VickiSue0513

Post by VickiSue0513 »

There has been chatter in games about the shuffling routine or randomizer for Hand and Foot. There seems to be a high percentage of blow out games compared to real play. Is the point spread available for the last arena season to see if this is perception as opposed to reality? And if the point spreads are available, I would like to run some statistics on the spreads. I have a background in statistics.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

You can see the list of played games (and scores) in https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=handandfoot, click on the number next to "Number of games played".

My guess is that any difference with real-life games is either:
1. Imagined.
2. Due probably to faster games online (so more games, and things look different when you play 10 games per day, or 1 per week).
3. Due to real-life shuffling being poorly randomized.

PS. Don't post duplicates.

Return to “Hand and Foot”